Men’s basketball beats Notre Dame de Namur to extend win streak to five

The Eagles won their first conference game of the season in a 88-79 win over NDNU.

Zachary Devane, Freelance Writer

The Eagles, on a two-game road trip to Northern California, secured their first conference win of the season tonight against Notre Dame de Namur University. They were led by sophomore guard Alex Wright who totaled 28 points, nine rebounds and four assists. BU was down by one point at halftime, but rallied in the second half to gain a 88-79 win over the Argonauts.

CONFERENCE CONFIDENCE

The Eagles stuck with the same starters they have all season for this conference opener: Wright, senior guard Marquise Mosley, sophomore guard Chris Russow, junior forward Michael Bagatourian and junior forward Jesse Elrod. They scored 72 of Biola’s 88 points in the game.

The teams were evenly matched throughout the game, until BU went on a 20-11 run in the final 4 minutes and 30 seconds to pull away. The Eagles also dominated the free throw line, making 21 of their 25 attempts, while the Argonauts only made 10 of their 17 attempts. They also bullied the Argos, cleaning up the glass with 40 rebounds, compared to their 27.

Individually, Wright and Mosley carried the load for the Eagles. Wright had 28 points, while Mosley finished with 24 points, seven assists and four rebounds. Off the bench, sophomore center Solomon Ruddell provided a big boost with 11 points on 5-5 shooting and pulled in five rebounds.

The Eagles (5-2 overall, 1-0 PacWest) will look to continue their five-game win streak at Dominican University of California in their second conference matchup of the year on Saturday, Dec. 7 at 7:30 p.m.