Men’s and Women’s swim take third overall and beat APU

The Eagles soared high, dominating the leaderboards and beating their biggest rival, APU.

Haven Luper-Jasso // THE CHIMES

Both men’s and women’s swim teams finished in third place individually and overall.

Maria Weyne, Staff Writer

Men’s and women’s swim teams competed at the Soka Invitational on Saturday morning. The Eagles focused mostly on individual events, skipping out on all the relays as they went head-to-head against long-time rival Azusa Pacific University, pushing for yet another win against them. Overall, the combined score sat at 543, almost 400 points above APU. 

The men’s team dominated the top 10 in the 200-yard freestyle, placing first, third, fifth and sixth. Freshman Gabe Weber led the team with a time of 1:45.67, only four seconds away from Biola’s school record for the event. Freshmen Jonas Huckabay, Dylan Pon and Tanner Smith followed Weber with times of 1:46.67, 1:47.77 and 1:48.10 respectively. 

The freshmen kept shining through with Liza Parahnevich’s win in the 1,000-yard freestyle. Parahnevich went head-to-head against APU, beating her competitor by only nine seconds. Freshman Anna Cohee followed Parahnevich coming in fourth place with an 11:27.49. 

Senior Raymond Kam pushed for a win in the 100-yard butterfly with a time of 52.40. Freshmen Patrick Waggoner, Smith and Pon followed his lead, getting fifth, sixth and seventh place with times of 54.63, 54.67 and 54.85 respectively. 

The Eagles finished in third place individually and overall, beating their biggest rival once again. The women’s swim team will return to the pool on Nov. 16 against Dixie State University.