Women’s swimming and diving wins big against rivals APU

The Eagles prevailed in a two-day meet with rivals APU, claiming first place finishes 10 of the 20 events.

Biola+women+dive+into+the+backstroke+race.+

Haven Luper-Jasso // THE CHIMES

Biola women dive into the backstroke race.

Zachary Devane, Freelance Writer

Women’s swimming and diving team closed out their meet against Azusa Pacific University on Saturday, Nov. 1 in dominating fashion, finishing with a total score of 194.5-176.5. The teams competed in both Lansing Pool at Biola and Slauson Pool at APU.

SMOOTH SAILING

On day two of the meet, the Eagles picked up right where they left off on Friday. They came in with a 25 point lead, which they were able to maintain on the way to victory. Sophomore Nicole Chang, sophomore Celine Dong, sophomore Faith McAllister and freshman Liza Parahnevich combined for a 1:53.48 time in the 200-yard medley relay, which earned them first in the event and another plus-five points over the Cougars. This was one of only three events in which the Eagles finished first on Saturday. 

The second was the 200-yard breaststroke, in which freshman Anna Haaksma was able to add another nine points to Biola’s tally with her 2:30.82 finish. The third was the 200-yard individual medley, where Parhnevich again gave the Eagles a boost, finishing with a time of 2:09.02, which was good enough for another plus-nine points. Top-two finishes in every one of the six other events on Saturday all contributed to the Eagles 18 point win.

The Eagles will be back swimming on Saturday, Nov. 9 at Soka University in Aliso Viejo, California where they will be taking part in the Soka Invitational.