Women’s soccer adds to eight-game win streak against Hawaii Pacific

The Eagles grab their sixth win in PacWest play with another shutout from senior goalkeeper Christina Rodriguez.

Senior+defender+Madyson+Brown+dribbles+the+ball.+

Bree Mays // THE CHIMES

Senior defender Madyson Brown dribbles the ball.

Ashley Grams, Staff Writer

Women’s soccer recorded their eighth straight win against Hawaii Pacific University at home on Monday afternoon. The Eagles added two goals to PacWest standings and senior goalkeeper Christina Rodriguez earned an all-program record for most clean sheets among both the men’s and women’s teams. 

The Eagles started out fast with two shots from sophomore forward Sandy Hawryla within the first seven minutes. Two minutes later, Hawryla took another hit on frame which was blocked by the HPU keeper. Sophomore midfielder Katelyn Penner collected the ball off the blocked shot and scored in the lower right corner to put Biola up 1-0. Ten minutes later, the Sharks won the ball and transitioned quickly down the field and shot on frame. Rodriguez tallied her first save of the night. Senior defender Colie Martin and senior forward Annmarie Alvarez each added shots against HPU before the half ended. 

FUEL TO THE FIRE

“Our team is so on fire right now and so determined,” said freshman forward Christine Goodman. “We just are feeding off of each other and there is no doubt in my mind we will keep winning and keep taking these dubs home because of how determined we are.”

During the second half, Biola continued to produce an onslaught of shots when in the attacking third. In the 51st minute, senior forward Sarah Yang, senior defender Madyson Brown and Martin each contributed to the attack. The HPU keeper saved three shots. The Eagles had another look at the net in the 72nd minute when Martin dribbled down the right side playing the ball through to Goodman. Goodman scored her first collegiate goal to make the score 2-0. HPU hit two shots wide to end the game. 

ANOTHER RECORD HOLDER

“It feels amazing… we’ve always been known at Biola for our great defense and I think it has really helped me,” Rodriguez said. “So thankful to be a part of this program and so thankful that where we are at right now in the standing is showing. Our spirits are so high.”

Rodriguez earned the women’s record for most clean sheets earlier this month on October 12 and now boasts a record between both the men’s and women’s programs. 

The Eagles (9-3-1 overall and 6-0 PacWest) will be back out on Al Barbour field Thursday, Oct. 31 at  4 p.m. against Chaminade University of Honolulu