Men’s soccer prevails over Dominican

Freshman Alex Lugo helps Eagles earn first win of PacWest play.

Andres Ramirez // THE CHIMES

Senior defender, Alejandro Pelayo, kicks the ball away from the Biola goal.

Ashley Grams, Staff Writer

Men’s soccer travelled north to take on Dominican University of California Saturday afternoon. The Eagles topped the Penguins 1-0 with an early goal from freshman midfielder Alex Lugo. 

Two minutes into the game, Biola asserted dominance with a goal from Lugo. Sophomore midfielder Oscar Rubalcava assisted him, making the score 1-0. DUC responded with two shots on goal and a corner kick, forcing a save from freshman goalkeeper JD Gunn. Senior forward Hunter Finnegan took control in the attacking third, hitting a shot over the top 10 minutes later. Lugo continued to work on offense with a look at the net in the 33rd minute, only to push it wide left. Biola ended the half ahead, 1-0.

Dominican started the second half with high energy, earning a corner kick and putting up two shots within two minutes. The Eagles stayed tough on defense and Lugo hit another shot in the 49th minute. Freshman midfielder Chad Sinclair and senior defender Axel Van Cleve both put shots on goal toward the end of the half. Van Cleve’s shot demanded a dynamic save from the DUC keeper. Dominican finished out the match with an aggressive shot on goal, prompting a save from Gunn to end the game 1-0.

Lugo led the team in shots with five and two on goal. Gunn held another clean sheet, leading the defense with four saves over the course of the game.

The Eagles (3-4-2) play again Thursday, Oct. 17 at 7 p.m. against the Academy of Arts University at home.