Men’s soccer tie in third double overtime

The Eagles are off to a rocky start in PacWest play with first tie.

Senior+Leo+Thompson+steals+the+ball+from+his+opponent.+

Marlena Lang // THE CHIMES

Senior Leo Thompson steals the ball from his opponent.

Sasha Terry, Web Editor

Men’s soccer took on their third double overtime and first PacWest conference game of the season against the Holy Names University Hawks in Oakland, California on Thursday. The Eagles stormed out of the gates with two goals in the first half but fell short in the second, as the Hawks scored two goals. Biola looked to grab a win in overtime but neither team scored, ending the game with a tie, 2-2. 

In the first half, the Eagles were off to a quick start by scoring a goal in the first 20 minutes. The first goal came after sophomore defender Henry Reeves crossed the ball to senior forward Leo Thompson, who kicked the ball into the goal. The second goal came a few minutes later, after senior forward Hunter Finnegan’s shot was on target. The Eagles also attempted seven shots throughout the half alone. 

EAGLES GOAL RUN FALLS SHORT

The second half proved rough for the Eagles as they only attempted two shots to the goal and HNU grabbed two goals. Halfway through the period, Finnegan fouled, allowing the Hawks to grab their first goal by a penalty kick. The Hawks’ second goal came with five minutes left on the clock, forcing the game into overtime.

During the first overtime, the Eagles almost dropped the game with a close goal by the Hawks. Freshman goalkeeper JD Gunn grabbed his only save in the game in the first 20 seconds of overtime play. Shortly after, Thompson attempted a shot to the goal but fell short by a save from the Hawks goalkeeper. 

In double overtime, the Eagles did not attempt any shots to the goal and the game ended with the Eagles tying, 2-2. 

The Eagles moved to 0-0-1 in conference and 2-4-2 overall. They will continue conference play on the road against Dominican University in San Rafael, California on Saturday at 2:30 p.m.