Women’s soccer defeats reigning conference champions

The Eagles shut out the PLNU Sea Lions with a single goal by Sarah Yang.

Junior+forward+Madi+Demetropolis+gets+ready+to+kick+the+ball.++

Junior forward Madi Demetropolis gets ready to kick the ball.

File | THE CHIMES

File | THE CHIMES

File | THE CHIMES

Andi Basista, Sports Editor

The Eagles flew south to San Diego, California on Saturday, Sept. 28 to go head-to-head with Point Loma Nazarene University. The Sea Lions are the current PacWest conference champions, which made the 1-0 victory over PLNU that much sweeter.

DEFENSE TURNED TO OFFENSE

Biola started the game with energy on the offensive end. The Eagles put up two early shots on goal to no prevail. However, freshman forward midfielder Ella Hiveley kept the pressure alive on the Sea Lions with two shots on goal herself within the first half. Teammate senior goalkeeper Christina Rodriquez helped on defense, shutting out the only two shots on goal attempted by PLNU the entire first half.

Senior forward Sarah Yang found offensive gain as she put away the Eagles’ one and only goal of the night late in the first half, thanks to a series of assists from senior defender Alyssa Chavez and senior defender Colie Martin.

Half two provided the same high-intensity energy from the Eagles as half one. Locked in, Biola shut down the Sea Lions with their tight defense. PLNU attempted many shots on goal, but junior goalkeeper Briana Ruelas kept Biola’s lead alive, as the Eagles collectively brought down the conference champs, 1-0.

The Eagles (2-3-1) will hit the turf again on Oct. 2 at 4 p.m. as they face Concordia University, Irvine in a home matchup on Al Barbour Field.