Inkslinger returns

The Inkslinger club hosted its annual launch party for its 2018–2019 published journal.

Inkslinger returns

Photo Courtesy of Biola Inkslinger

Photo Courtesy of Biola Inkslinger

Photo Courtesy of Biola Inkslinger

Jenna Owens, Freelance Writer

Biola’s very own literary journalism club, The Inkslinger, held its annual public reading of literature and visual works created by the club participants, celebrating the release of this year’s edition of its literary journal at Sycamore Lawn on April 25.

Inkslinger combines the efforts of editors, writers and designers. Throughout the year, each member of Inkslinger puts time into reviewing, editing and publishing each written and visual work. According to senior studio arts major and club leader Sage Theule, the club believes the power of words and images helps them share little pieces of themselves with one another.

ALL ABOUT THE EVENT

As 7:30 p.m. rolled around, the event’s 32 attendees were greeted with a smile by Theule, and the rest of the club’s staff. Surrounded by string lights hung from tree to tree, guests had an array of snacks and beverages to enjoy. Copies of the 2018–2019 Inkslinger book were free for attendees, along with Inkslinger logo stickers and previously published Inkslinger books from over the years.

Selected contributors for the journal walked to the mic and read their piece or explained the meaning behind their images. Attendees shared each other’s company over popcorn and cookies as they listened to what the readers had to say. Many in the audience were there to support their friends who were reading.

THE CONTRIBUTORS AND THEIR STORIES

Junior interdisciplinary studies major Kindra Soto, a contributor to the journal, told the audience the story behind her photograph titled “Wittenberg.”

“God is more than enough despite the suffering,” Soto said as she described her image.

Soto explained that she, along with other Biolans, had traveled to Europe to further her studies over the summer. During her time there, she started to feel horrible pain while walking and was told she needed hip surgery. Through the stress of jet lag and walking pain, Soto looked up to capture a photograph of the sky and rooftops.

“I faced many obstacles, but God allowed me to stop and capture this moment and the art of looking up, as I look up to Jesus in the midst of my weakness,” Soto said.

Senior interdisciplinary studies major Rachel Surgalski also contributed many of her poems and images to the journal. The poem she read was titled “racoon.”

“My piece, ‘racoon,’ was more than just about a raccoon, it holds a deeper meaning,” Surgalski said. “Writing is an outlet for me to release my emotions.”

1 Comment

1