Baseball splits pair of games at Concordia

Eagles bring the bats for game one win but cool down in second game loss.

Photo by Marlena Lang/ THE CHIMES

Photo by Marlena Lang/ THE CHIMES

Photo by Marlena Lang/ THE CHIMES

Joel Ashor, Sports Editor

Biola traveled south on Friday to take on Concordia University Irvine in a PacWest doubleheader. The Eagles exploded for an impressive 13-3 win in the first game of the day, but fell 7-5 in a close second game.

OFFENSIVE FIREPOWER

Sophomore second baseman Jackson Collins started the scoring in the first inning with a two-run double. The Eagles of Concordia responded with a run in their half of the first, but Biola brought two more runs across the plate in the second inning for a 4-1 lead.

Sophomore center fielder Brandon Cody picked up an RBI single, and sophomore shortstop Connor Kostecka lined another single as the Eagles extended the lead to 7-1. An error from CUI allowed another run to score for Biola in the fifth, but Concordia blasted a two-run home run to make it 8-3.

Collins picked up another RBI and junior right fielder RJ Bates reached on an error to score Collins. The final run for Biola came from a sacrifice fly from sophomore first baseman Tyler Piston as the Eagles took the victory 13-3.  

LOST LEAD

Biola started strong again in game two, as Bates ripped a two-run shot in the first inning. Freshman catcher Caleb Watson grounded out to score a run and junior left fielder Andy Van Antwerp singled to make it 4-0 in the second.

Concordia rallied for five runs in the second and third innings to take a 5-4 lead, and two more runs in the sixth and eighth put Biola behind 7-4. A ninth inning run from Biola was not enough as they fell 7-5.

The Eagles (25-17, 16-14 conference) will play another doubleheader on Saturday at Concordia at 12 p.m. and 3 p.m.

Joel Ashor, Sports Editor

Joel Ashor is a junior broadcast journalism major with a love for sports, friends, and history. Joel is a Notre Dame football, Angels baseball, and Boston Celtics fan.

Growing up in the small city of Santa Maria, California as the youngest of four boys, I was always surrounded by things much earlier than normal, due to the fact that I experienced things through my much older brothers. One of the things I experienced was sports, and when I started watching...