Baseball splits pair of games at Concordia

Eagles bring the bats for game one win but cool down in second game loss.

Joel Ashor, Sports Editor

Biola traveled south on Friday to take on Concordia University Irvine in a PacWest doubleheader. The Eagles exploded for an impressive 13-3 win in the first game of the day, but fell 7-5 in a close second game.

OFFENSIVE FIREPOWER

Sophomore second baseman Jackson Collins started the scoring in the first inning with a two-run double. The Eagles of Concordia responded with a run in their half of the first, but Biola brought two more runs across the plate in the second inning for a 4-1 lead.

Sophomore center fielder Brandon Cody picked up an RBI single, and sophomore shortstop Connor Kostecka lined another single as the Eagles extended the lead to 7-1. An error from CUI allowed another run to score for Biola in the fifth, but Concordia blasted a two-run home run to make it 8-3.

Collins picked up another RBI and junior right fielder RJ Bates reached on an error to score Collins. The final run for Biola came from a sacrifice fly from sophomore first baseman Tyler Piston as the Eagles took the victory 13-3.  

LOST LEAD

Biola started strong again in game two, as Bates ripped a two-run shot in the first inning. Freshman catcher Caleb Watson grounded out to score a run and junior left fielder Andy Van Antwerp singled to make it 4-0 in the second.

Concordia rallied for five runs in the second and third innings to take a 5-4 lead, and two more runs in the sixth and eighth put Biola behind 7-4. A ninth inning run from Biola was not enough as they fell 7-5.

The Eagles (25-17, 16-14 conference) will play another doubleheader on Saturday at Concordia at 12 p.m. and 3 p.m.