National holiday celebrates administrative professionals

Administrative Professionals’ day recognizes the hard workers behind almost every aspect of college life.

Maria Weyne, Freelance Writer

(This story was originally published in print on Apr. 25, 2019).

Administrative Professionals’ day is celebrated nationally on April 24, recognizing professionals around the country. At Biola, administrative professionals go beyond expectations and bond with students and faculty despite their busy schedules.

UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL

Alumna and journalism and public relations administrative assistant Jessica Blaylock joined the Biola community in 2014 as a transfer student. During her time at Biola, Blaylock worked as a volunteer at the Collegium. She recalls falling in love with helping college students and decided to continue work as an administrative assistant for the journalism and public relations department.

“I try to go above and beyond for the students and the faculty because I care so much about them,” Blaylock said. “I want students to feel like [they] matter.”

A self-proclaimed “big kid” and “crazy cat lady,” Blaylock has a deep love for her department, shown through her smile that greets students as they walk in. Despite her busy schedule and workload, Blaylock still strives to help students and faculty and to know them personally.

Blaylock says students are sometimes surprised that she knows them on a first name basis, however, they recognize Blaylock’s commitment to her department every day through their appreciation.

“Every day someone will walk in and say, ‘Jess you’re amazing,’” Blaylock said.

PERSONAL INTERACTIONS

Administrative coordinator for the Department of Kinesiology and Health Science Diana Alfonso shares that her busy schedule can take over her day.

My day can be a flurry of activity and emails,” Alfonso said. “I can be running errands or managing crises, helping students, assisting faculty—it really is multi-faceted.”

Even though her day mostly consists of working with her department’s concerns, Alfonso cherishes moments with students. Whether through offering assistance or simply listening, Alfonso’s interactions drive her work as a liaison for students and faculty in her department. She says the special moments shared with her students make her daily stress worth it and remembers a student who came in after having a hard time getting into classes.

“I was able to comfort her, pray for her and reassure her,” Alfonso said. “Those are the moments that make me love my job.”

LONG-TERM CONNECTIONS

Former missionary Megan Bergk has been at Biola for 20 years as an administrative coordinator for the Talbot School of Theology. She says the reason she has been at Biola so long is because she loves the people around her.

I like to say I work with the best of the best at Talbot,” Bergk said. “That’s why I’m here so long, it’s because I love the people I work with and the students I work with.”

Although Bergk works with over 300 students, she makes herself available to get to know her students and their needs. Bergk also emphasized that being able to serve her students is her favorite part of her job. She remembers times where students would come into her office to have a moment alone with her. She says being able to listen and pray for her students is a key part of what she does.

I may not solve the problem, but I was a listening ear,” Bergk said. “When they remember that moment with me, they will come up and give me a hug later. You know, that to me is special.”

Bergk’s serene presence and hard work are celebrated by her coworkers through cards and candies. Though she claims to not expect that at all, every year she is caught by surprise when she is thanked for all she does for Talbot.