Softball splits doubleheader on the road

The Eagles shine in game two against Notre Dame de Namur.

Photo by Hannah Clark/ THE CHIMES

Photo by Hannah Clark/ THE CHIMES

Photo by Hannah Clark/ THE CHIMES

Ashley Grams, Staff Writer

Biola softball played their second doubleheader against Notre Dame de Namur in Belmont, California on Friday afternoon. The Eagles split the doubleheader, losing the first 6-3, and winning the second 4-0.

In the first game, freshman outfielder Madison Blossey hit a triple and put the Eagles up two runs in the second inning. The game remained quiet for the next several innings with Biola in the lead. In the sixth inning, freshman outfielder Jennifer Morinishi batted in a run after senior infielder Missy Poti’s single. But it was not enough as the Argonauts scored six runs to take the win 6-3.

In the second game of the day, sophomore middle infielder Kylie Velasco hit a single and stole a base before scoring, thanks to a double from senior shortstop Andi Hormel. This match followed a similar pattern as the last with both teams going scoreless for multiple innings. The Eagles finally encountered a breakthrough in the fifth inning as the Argonauts walked Hormel who then advanced two bases after two consecutive wild pitches, putting her in scoring position. A sacrifice fly from senior center fielder Areana Ramos brought in a second run for Biola. The Argonauts pitcher threw a third wild pitch which put two Eagles in scoring position, which were then batted in by freshman first base and outfielder Caitlin Fowble.

Sophomore pitcher Paige Austin rounded out the game with several strikeouts and lead Biola to a decisive 4-0 win.

The Eagles (PacWest 18-8, Overall 23-13) will be back out on Eagles diamond for senior night on April 25th to take on Concordia University.

Ashley Grams, Staff Writer

Ashley Grams is a broadcast journalism major with a Spanish minor dreaming about working for ESPN. She is passionate about finding good gluten-free food & meeting new people.

Hi there! My name is Ashley Grams and I grew up in a small town north of Seattle in Washington, so far north in fact that many people resort to saying we live in Canada. In Washington I spent most of my time playing soccer, tennis or watching some other sport. My passion for athletics led me to dream about working for...