Softball sweeps four-game series

Eagles claim second consecutive doubleheader sweep over Dominican.

Joel Ashor, Sports Editor

Biola played their second doubleheader at Dominican University on Wednesday. Much like yesterday’s victories, the Eagles struck early and often to pick up two more wins, 11-6 and 6-3, sweeping the Penguins.

EARLY EXPLOSION

The first inning of the first game was one to remember, as an explosion of seven runs put the Eagles ahead early. Senior first baseman Missy Poti lined a two-run double to start the scoring, and freshman pitcher Jennifer Morinishi followed up with a two-run single.

Freshman right fielder Madison Blossey scored another run for her team with a single, and sophomore second baseman Tori Apodaca ground out to score the sixth run of the inning for the Eagles. Senior catcher Kayla Neff doubled to bring home the seventh run for Biola.

The Penguins responded in the next two innings with six runs to tighten the gap. Blossey ripped a single to score a run, followed by another run-scoring single from sophomore pinch hitter Kylie Velasco. Neff hit her second double to extend their lead to 10-6, and senior center fielder Areana Ramos capped off the scoring with an RBI single as the Eagles closed out the 11-6 win.

COMEBACK TIME

Poti continued her hot hitting in game two as the Eagles began another good start with an RBI single in the first inning. However, this time the Penguins took the lead with two runs in the first and one in the second inning. Both teams pitched well from there until Biola’s half of the sixth inning arrived. Neff knotted the score at three with a two-run double, and the Eagles took the lead back with a single from sophomore third baseman Ruth Munoz.

The scoring continued as Ramos lined a single, and another run-scoring single from Poti pushed the lead to 6-3. The pitching took care of business from there to complete the four-game sweep of the Penguins.

With the sweep, the Eagles improve to 20-12 and 15-7 in the PacWest and will continue play Thursday with a doubleheader at Notre Dame de Namur University at 11 a.m. and 1 p.m.