Everything to look forward to in “Stranger Things” season three

After the recently released trailer, the Chimes breaks down what is to come in the anticipated third season.

Lauren McBride, Freelance Writer

Beloved Netflix series “Stranger Things” took the world by storm and grabbed the hearts of audiences when it was released in 2016.  The popular show, created by the Duffer Brothers, is scheduled to release its third season on July 4.

Netflix released the trailer for season three of “Stranger Things” last week, and any fan of the show should certainly be excited for new character development, new story lines and new iconic “Stranger Things” monsters.

THE HAWKINS KIDS ARE GROWING UP

As Finn Wolfhard’s Mike Wheeler says in the trailer, the Hawkins kids “aren’t kids anymore.”  The show’s beloved friend group will move up to high school age this upcoming season. This change opens up opportunities for character development as the kids become older and develop more serious relationships and responsibilities.

In addition, fans should be curious to see how Millie Bobby Brown’s treasured science experiment Eleven, now also known as Jane Hopper, will experience everyday life as a daughter, friend and girlfriend.

LOVE IS IN THE AIR

The show has been following the progression of the relationship between Eleven and spunky science geek Mike since the very beginning. The pair instantly clicked in the first season, and the second season showed how much they missed each other in their separation. The upcoming season will hopefully provide a closer look at their relationship and how well the adorable couple works together.

Furthermore, fans are hoping to see single parents Joyce Byers and Chief Hopper, portrayed by Winona Ryder and David Harbour, respectively, finally get together after their clear chemistry within the past two seasons. In addition, fans will likely see more of Caleb McLaughlin’s Lucas Sinclair and Sadie Sink’s Max Mayfield together, the newly introduced duo from the show’s second season. In the trailer, the pair was pictured running off into the woods together.

One question that seems to be in the air is whether or not drama will ensue between couples in the third season. The fact that relationships have run rather smoothly throughout the show so far leaves perfect opportunity for the Duffer Brothers to spice up the characters’ love lives.

A BROMANCE RETURNS

The show’s last season introduced a very unlikely friendship between two very different characters: Steve Harrington and Dustin Henderson, portrayed by Joe Keery and Gaten Matarazzo, respectively. The duo became an instant fan-favorite, as Steve appeared to take on a father role to Dustin.

Luckily for “Stranger Things” fans, the friendship continues on in the third season. The trailer revealed clips of Steve and Dustin interacting in a playful way, much to the enjoyment of fans. The Duffer Brothers recognized the positive feedback that the pair received last season, and it is fair to say that fans can expect to see some amusing scenes between the two when the third season is released in July.  

A NEW THREAT

Hawkins has not escaped danger just yet. The trailer revealed an image of the new monster being introduced to Hawkins, appearing bulky, slimy and insect-like. As each season has increasingly become darker than the last thus far, it will be intriguing to see how this new threat measures up in comparison to the previous Demogorgon and Mind Flayer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEG3bmU_WaI