Track and Field take sixth and seventh at PLNU

The Eagles set multiple personal bests and top finishes in San Diego.

Andi Basista, Deputy Sports Editor

Men’s and women’s track and field took to San Diego where they competed in the Ross and Sharon Irwin Collegiate Scoring Meet at Point Loma Nazarene University on Saturday. The women’s team finished in sixth place out of 14 teams, while the men finished in seventh place out of 12 teams.

Freshman Rebeka Preston took on the triple jump with a third place personal-best finish of 11.46m. Sophomore Anna Maumalanga finished in the top five with 15 points in the discus and shot put, which granted her a personal-best of 12.03m in the shot put. Freshman Shelby Rogers competed in the 400m dash, finishing in sixth place at :58.27. Freshman Clara Haynes ended the steeplechase 3,000m in second with a time of 11:29.48, while junior Mandy Reyes finished in third with a time of 11:35.22.

Junior Angel Escobar had a time of 15:17.71 in the 5,000m, putting him in third place. Freshman Brady DeHaven also finished third in his 3,000m race with a time of 10:13.57. Sophomore Aaron Jackson finished in fourth place with a personal-best of 6.56m in the men’s long jump. Junior Nic Nelson took fifth place in the 1,500m with a personal-best time of 1,500m. Finishing in fifth place for the triple jump was junior J’Vaughan Singleton with 13.23m.

The Eagles will take to the track once again at the San Diego State University Aztec Invitational on March 21-22.