Angelo State takes down women’s tennis

Eagles beaten soundly in 4-0 defeat against the Rambelles.

Joel Ashor, Sports Editor

The Eagles competed for the second straight day on Tuesday, hosting Angelo State University. The Rambelles got the better of the Eagles, claiming the doubles point and three quick singles wins for the 4-0 victory.

The bright spot of the day came from No. 1 doubles, when the pairing of junior Lauren Lee and sophomore Esther Lee came away with a well-earned 6-4 victory. At No. 2 doubles, the duo of junior Allison Torres and freshman Ines Diaz fell 6-1. The doubles point came down to No. 3 doubles, and sophomore Lily Waterhouse and freshman Anna Hartmann lost 6-4.

“Angelo State is just a really good tennis program and they’re just better than us right now,” said head coach David Goodman. “I still feel really positive. I think we played really well in the doubles, won at number one, which was a big win, and hopefully we’ll carry that into tomorrow.”

In singles, the Rambelles flexed their muscles. Waterhouse fell 6-0, 6-1, followed by a 6-2, 6-2 loss from junior Tinisee Kandakai. Sophomore Sarah Morgan was the last completed match of the day when she lost 6-0, 6-2 to clinch the win for Angelo State. Esther Lee was the only player who took a set off the Rambelles in singles, winning 6-4 before the match was cut short.

“I thought I did pretty well. It was kinda rough in the beginning. But we picked it up and in the end, I think I ended on a good note,” Esther Lee said.

Despite the loss, Goodman still feels pleased with the way his team has played through difficulties.

“The girls have been really focused in how hard they have gone for matches, and continue to want it in the midst of adversity, and fight in the midst of adversity. We’ve done a good job of that this year and I think we just need to continue to do what we have been doing,” Goodman said.

The Eagles (4-4) host an important PacWest match Wednesday at 2 p.m. against Dominican University.