Women’s basketball falls short against Hawaii Pacific

Eagles’ late rally not enough in narrow loss to the Sharks.

Joel Ashor, Sports Editor

Women’s basketball played at home again on Saturday, taking on Hawaii Pacific University in a PacWest matchup. The Eagles made a late push, coming within three points late, but the rally fell short as the Sharks came away with a 59-52 win.

TOUGH HALF

In the first quarter, the Eagles started off on the right foot with a 3-pointer from sophomore forward Jazz Benn to open the game’s scoring. However, the Sharks’ defense limited Biola’s offense from there on, only allowing eight points in the quarter as they took a 17-8 lead into the second quarter.

The scoring struggles continued for the Eagles in the second quarter as they were only able to muster 10 points the entire period. The Sharks posted 13 points to take a 30-18 lead into halftime.

“We’re gonna look to maintain that energy throughout the entire game. We had it in spurts, but we’re gonna try and maintain that energy throughout the entire game and play more consistently on offense,” said junior guard Tatum Brimley.

RENEWED ENERGY

The Sharks stretched their lead to 40-18 early in the third quarter, but another three from Benn shifted the momentum, as the Eagles clawed their way back into the game. Brimley nailed a three to close the quarter’s scoring as the scoreboard read 46-34 heading into the fourth.

With six minutes left in the fourth quarter, the Eagles needed to score and do it fast. Junior forward Mikayla Greens started the rally with two layups to pull Biola within 11. Trailing by 10 with a little over two minutes left to play, Brimley drilled back-to-back threes to make the game interesting late. Freshman guard Aysia Johnson converted a layup to make the score 55-52 with 24 seconds left. The Eagles were forced to foul, though, and the Sharks converted their free throws to ice the 59-52 win.

“I think that’s an earmark of our team, of our program, of this group of players. They’re gonna give it all they’ve got for each other. It’s a blessing to get to coach this team,” said head coach Alan Nakamura.

Biola (10-16, 8-12 PacWest) will look to get back in the win column on Thursday at home against Dominican University at 5:30 p.m.