Softball loses doubleheader at Concordia

Eagles swept on the road despite late comeback in second game.

Junior+catcher+Kayla+Neff+swings+at+a+pitch+during+the+Eagles+game+against+Cal+State+San+Marcos+on+Feb.+10.+The+game+was+eventually+suspended+due+to+rain.+

Courtesy of George Rodriguez/Biola Athletics

Junior catcher Kayla Neff swings at a pitch during the Eagles’ game against Cal State San Marcos on Feb. 10. The game was eventually suspended due to rain.

Joel Ashor, Sports Editor

Softball traveled to nearby Concordia University Irvine on Friday looking to establish themselves as the better Eagles in the start of PacWest competition. However, the other Eagles from Irvine got the better of Biola, sweeping the doubleheader with a 3-0 shutout and 5-4 walk-off win.

In game one of the doubleheader, sophomore right-handed pitcher Paige Austin got the start. Austin pitched a solid game, but CUI broke through with two runs in the fourth inning and one in the sixth. On the offensive side, Biola struggled to get anything going, mustering a mere two hits the entire game. This lack of offense resulted in a 3-0 defeat for Biola.

Looking to redeem themselves in game two, Biola put junior right-handed pitcher Paula Damas on the mound. Concordia struck first with three runs in the second inning. However, senior first baseman Hailey Boyett refused to let her team go down without a fight, blasting a three-run home run in the fifth inning to tie the game at three.

CUI responded with a run in the sixth inning, but junior catcher Kayla Neff whacked a homer of her own to tie the game again at four apiece. Concordia would not be denied, though, as they won the game with a walk-off home run in the bottom of the seventh to claim a 5-4 victory.

Biola (3-7, 0-2 PacWest) will return home to take on Adelphi University in a non-conference matchup on Saturday at 2 p.m. and 4 p.m.