The screening of “More Art Upstairs” starts art conversations

Multimedia journalist Jody Hassett Sanchez invites Biolans to view her art-centered documentary.

Kayla Santos, Deputy Arts & Entertainment Editor

Journalist-turned-filmmaker Jody Hassett Sanchez uses her background in journalism to tell engaging and inspiring documentary films. After the release of her 2010 documentary “Sold: Fighting the New Global Slave Trade,” Sanchez aimed to tell the stories of artists in her latest film, “More Art Upstairs.” On Feb. 18, Sanchez invited Biolans to a screening of “More Art Upstairs” followed by a Q&A panel at Calvary Chapel.

THOUGHTFUL ARTWORK

Sanchez’s documentary follows four artists competing at the acclaimed ArtPrize, an art competition in which art jurors and the public vote for the best works. Put on annually by volunteer-led, artist-led organization SiTE:LAB, the artists’ works are displayed for three weeks for fellow art jurors, connoisseurs and passersby to enjoy. Through filming the three weeks of ArtPrize, Sanchez captured the ins, outs and results of the competition.

BIOLA MEETS DIRECTOR

Following the film’s screening, Sanchez answered questions onstage from a curious crowd. As students and faculty asked various questions, Sanchez and the crowd were able to reflect on the motivation behind the film.

“Filming the tension, competition, characters of ArtPrize was the lens that I had been looking for to raise the questions about some of these things I care about,” Sanchez said to the audience.

Because Sanchez has been seeing a rise of artist-to-artist relationships and a lack of artist-to-viewer relationships, she believed ArtPrize was an opportunity to capture the beauty of the latter. Seeking to revive appreciation for the arts, Sanchez’s film highlights the hard work these artists have put into the competition.

ENGAGED AUDIENCE

Art-enthused students and faculty enjoyed all the screening and panel had to offer.

“In movies, you see critics versus people,” said sophomore public relations major Jacob Allen. “You don’t see that a lot with paintings. It’s cool to see the people’s favorites versus the critics’ favorites.”