Men’s basketball defeats Hawaii Hilo

The Eagles defeat the Vulcans for the second time this season.

Andi Basista, Deputy Sports Editor

Men’s basketball soared out of Chase Gymnasium on Tuesday night with a chip on their shoulders after defeating Hawaii Hilo University for the second consecutive time this month. The Eagles led the Vulcans the entire game, ending the night with a 79-63 win to sweep the season series.

Senior Trevor Treinen led all scorers with 19 points, while senior forward Levi Auble put up 16 points and eight rebounds and senior forward Alex Talma contributed with 15 points and five rebounds. Freshman guard Alex Wright put up 12 points and 10 rebounds for a double-double.

“We had a couple of real tough losses last week, so we needed to bounce back and I’m glad we did,” said head coach Dave Holmquist.

AUTHORITATIVE START

The Eagles started the game with the same energy they carried throughout it. The team shared the ball well, giving them a comfortable lead throughout the first half. Biola shot 56 percent from the field and out-rebounded Hilo 23-10. The team shut down the Vulcans on both ends of the floor. Wright hit a buzzer-beater at the end of the first half to give the Eagles an extra boost heading into the locker room up 44-31.

“They did real well. They all did. I thought Alex Wright handled the ball really well against the pressure. Steve Herve and Alex Talma were battling inside too, so it was a good team win,” Holmquist said.

CONTINUED DOMINATION

The Eagles were tested with seven minutes remaining in the second half when Hawaii Hilo fought back to pull within seven points. However, Biola was determined to stay on top. Treinen took charge and helped the Eagles out of their short slump. The team collectively pitched in and stopped the Vulcans’ progress.

“We stayed composed, we had the lead the whole game and we had a couple of possessions where we got up by close to 20. And actually that’s harder, I think, than staying close in a game because you don’t want to give that lead up, and we kinda did. They got it within seven, but overall we stayed composed. We have four more games, and they are all home games, so we are just trying to enjoy it and finish the season out,” Treinen said.

The Eagles (13-11 overall, 9-9 PacWest) will continue play at Chase Gymnasium against Chaminade University on Thursday at 7:30 p.m.