Women’s basketball struggles at home

Benn leads on offense but the Eagles’ defense falls short against Hilo in loss.

Ashley Grams, Staff Writer

Women’s basketball took on the University of Hawaii at Hilo at home in wake of a tough overtime loss last week. The Eagles were unable to strike back this week, suffering a 56-48 loss. Sophomore forward Jazz Benn was a highlight however, leading the offense with 17 points.

In the first quarter, junior forward Mikayla Greens made play competitive with a layup to make it 4-4. However, the Eagles fell behind six minutes in with a score of 11-5, Vulcans. Benn retaliated on offense with a layup and a 3-pointer to make board read 11-10. Senior forward Sara Dougan shined bright on defense with two rebounds. However, the Eagles allowed a 3-pointer before the transition to quarter two.

“The girls didn’t let the scoreboard affect their energy or their teamwork and that is crucial to overcoming deficits,” said head coach Alan Nakamura.

Biola continued to struggle on defense, allowing a 15-point deficit to form despite 3-pointers from junior guard Jelissa Puckett and Benn. Despite several scoring attempts, Biola relied on Benn for a third 3-pointer and went into the half down 35-21.

Greens started off the third quarter with her second wind, putting up two layups within two minutes. Five minutes later, Benn responded with another three, putting Biola fewer than 10 points behind UHH. The third quarter came to a close with two failed attempts at 3-point shots from the Eagles’ desperate offense.

Quarter four began with a layup from Dougan. Biola took a 30-second timeout several minutes in to regroup, and junior guard Brenna Khaw put the Eagles back in the hunt with a 3-pointer, making the score 52-41. Benn and Dougan each added a layup with two minutes to go. Biola fought hard in the remaining minutes, and Puckett put in another layup, but the game ended in a 56-48 loss.

“We need to focus and learn a couple things before Thursday so we can break our streak and get a win,” Dougan said.

The Eagles (9-15, 7-11 PacWest) will be back in Chase Gymnasium Thursday at 5:30 p.m. to take on Chaminade University.