SGA Rundown: Proposals given for film projects and new student planners

Senators hear proposals to fund a music video, film festival and planner and launch new events.

Amanda Frese, Staff Writer

The Student Government Association heard two film-related proposals, as well as a proposal to fund planners for incoming students in this week’s senate meeting. Additionally, senate newsletters will be transitioning to a digital format starting this week.

Students can look forward to a new SGA Hour event on Feb. 17 and an SGA-hosted Leisure Day on Feb. 27. For SGA Hour, the senators will be initiating a Dorm Celebration Day. Senators will be changing dorms for the hour, dressing in the color of that dorm and providing snacks and activities to celebrate the different dorms and show unity between the senators and dorms across campus.

Additionally, SGA will be hosting a Leisure Day for four hours, where students are invited to receive massages and enjoy a relaxing environment, complete with snacks and essential-oil diffusers. The location of the event has not yet been decided.

FAIRYTALE MUSIC VIDEO

Senior cinema and media arts major Forrest Clark submitted a proposal for $5,000 to fund part of the production of a Korean pop music video with Biola alumni and musical artist, Saint War. The music video would feature fairy-tale themed aspects and incorporate the involvement of up to 40 Biola students.

The music video is slated to be released on May 1. According to Clark, the contributors to the music video will be reaching out to multiple departments at Biola to help with its production.

According to Clark, the project will show the initiative of Biola students to come together to gain experience in the filmmaking process. Upon completing the project, the creators plan to premiere the film at Biola and promote the project on Saint War’s social media.

BIOLA FILM FESTIVAL

Junior Megan Scott and senior Kaitlyn Pyle, CMA majors and film festival directors, submitted an external proposal for $4,000 to cover a portion of the cost for the annual Biola Film Festival. The funding from SGA would provide for the costs of event services and decorations for the award show, as well as catering and renting a red carpet.

The festival is an annual event that showcases and celebrates the cinematic works of students to recognize their work, and their creativity. It will be held on April 14. The event will consist of viewing the films at a local theater and a mixer for students to connect with Biola alumni with experience in cinematography. After the mixer, students are invited to join in an Oscar-style award show in Sutherland Hall to celebrate the talent of students, which will include a post-reception to provide a time of congratulations for participants.

NEW STUDENT PLANNERS

Vice president of finance, technology and human resources Nathan Carmack submitted a proposal to partner with Student Orientation Services next semester to fund planners for incoming freshmen and transfer students to help organize their schedules as they adjust to a new school year. SGA would purchase 1,100 planners at about $2.50 per planner to be distributed during Welcome Week of next semester. All unused planners will be given to the Office of Student Success for any additional students in need of a planner for the semester.