Women’s golf competes through downpour

Despite the rain suspending day one of play, Biola had a top-ten finish on the damp course Tuesday.

Tori Apodaca, Freelance Writer

Women’s golf braved the rain in San Diego at the PLNU Sea Lion Invitational, finishing eighth out of 18 teams. After part of the first day of the invitational was postponed due to heavy rain and wind conditions, the Eagles continued fighting through the rough weather on Tuesday to finish off the round. On Monday, the Eagles were able to get through about 11 or 12 holes, sitting at +24 before play was suspended. Host school Point Loma Nazarene University decided the teams would finish the 18-hole round Tuesday.

The weather continued to play a key component against Head Coach Jane Carr’s team on the second day of competition. However, the  Eagles persevered through the on-and-off showers as every golfer in the field finished over-par through 18 holes. Sophomore Marcel Manalo was among one of the leading Eagles in their first competition of the spring season. She sat at +4 at the start of Tuesday, and golfed into a top-11 finish with a score of 78.

The tough conditions could not stop junior Jules Loibl from continuing her momentum from day one either. With a birdie and a +5 standing going into Tuesday, Loibl saved par on 11 holes total during the invite, finishing with a score of 77. This score goes down as one of her top-five rounds so far this season. Her -2 mark on par-five holes was tied for the tournament’s best.

The rest of Loibl’s teammates remained steady through the competition as well. Juniors Alexis Gopfert and Tori Roeske avoided triple bogeys and carded 86 and 87, respectively. Freshman Sami Penor made par on five holes on Monday, and shot her way into a top-50 finish with a final score of 85.

On March 4, Biola will travel north to Alameda, California for the Tim Tierney Pioneer Shootout. The tournament will be hosted by Cal State East Bay.