Switch it up with this Switchfoot playlist

Listen to these Switchfoot essentials in preparation for their new album.

Courtesy of the San Diego Union-Tribune

With their latest album dropping soon, check out Switchfoot’s greatest hits over the past 20 years.

Kayla Santos, Deputy Arts and Entertainment Editor

Since the release of their debut album over 20 years ago, alternative rock band Switchfoot has become somewhat of a legend in the Christian music scene. With 10 studio albums under their belt, the San Diego natives seek to steal hearts once again with their upcoming album, “Native Tongue,” which is set to release on Jan. 18. These handpicked tracks will give longtime fans and recent listeners a taste of Switchfoot’s bests from each album as we await their newest release.

You

Switchfoot entered the music scene in 1997 with their debut album, “The Legend of Chin.” Toward the end of their 11-track album, listeners can find solace in the lethargic, string-suffused “You.” Although the track expresses the band’s acknowledgment and reliance upon God, many might associate the track with sadness and hopelessness because of its use in the 2002 film “A Walk to Remember.” This track remains one of the most notable from Switchfoot’s earlier albums because of its honest message and introduction to the band’s infusion of acoustic and orchestral styles.

Only Hope

As Switchfoot continued to experiment within the alternative and punk-rock genre, another one of their most well-known songs strayed away from their then-typical grunge vibe. Also popular for its feature in “A Walk to Remember,” “Only Hope” from sophomore album, “New Way To Be Human,” displays dramatic, symphonic cadences to accompany Switchfoot’s honest realization that God is their only hope.

Dare You to Move

Arguably the band’s most popular song ever, “Dare You to Move” off their album “Learning to Breathe” illustrates Switchfoot’s encouragement to live without regrets. Throughout their third and fourth albums, the band stresses the importance of not allowing disappointments to encompass one’s well-being. Beginning with a high-pitched acoustic guitar followed by lead singer Jon Foreman’s airy vocals and topped with a gradual build-up to break into the chorus, “Dare You to Move” is still recognized as one of the most memorable hits of the 2000s.

Meant to Live

As the first track from the band’s fourth album, “The Beautiful Letdown,” “Meant to Live” presents plenty of guitar reverb to match Foreman’s distinct vocals. With the most Spotify streams after “Dare You to Move,” “Meant to Live” also experienced a wave of popularity in the 2000s, even sneaking its way to No. 18 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 in 2003.

Stars

Coming from 2005’s “Nothing Is Sound,” “Stars” flaunts the best of both worlds with Switchfoot’s alternative side through a Led Zeppelin-like rock guitar riff as well as an uplifting, pop-like chorus sung by Foreman. In this song, lead singer Jon Foreman both questions his actions and ponders the night sky.

“When I look at the stars, I feel like myself,” Foreman sings.

Awakening

In this track, Foreman expresses how much he longs to wake up in the midst of laziness and pain. Similar to “Dare You to Move,” “Awakening” encourages listeners to actively pursue intentionality no matter what the situation. Although the song did not gain as much popularity as previous ones, “Awakening” remains a fan favorite from the album “Oh! Gravity.”

Your Love Is A Song

Released in 2009 from the album “Hello Hurricane,” Switchfoot takes a break from weighty guitar riffs and focuses on a lighter style in their song “Your Love Is A Song.” Through a high-pitched acoustic guitar and a steady drumbeat, Foreman croons about the love of God, which he refers to as a symphony and melody. Because of its metaphoric expressions of God’s love to pair a catchy, singable chorus, this track remains a popular one.

Restless

Before taking a musical spin on it, Foreman originally wrote “Restless” as a poem while he was on tour in the UK. From the very beginning of the song until the final verse, Foreman sings of his struggles and his ultimate longing for God. In this song, the band once again strays away from their post-grunge sound, emitting a sound similar to that of The Fray.

“I am restless,” Foreman sings. “I’m looking for you. I am restless. I run to the ocean to find your shore looking for you.”

Saltwater Heart

With an opening guitar riff that echoes John Mayer’s “No Such Thing,” listeners would find it hard to believe that they are listening to a Switchfoot song. However, the band immediately draws us in with these John Mayer and Walk The Moon-esque vibes, a sound completely different from the alternative rock they usually put out. For its unique breed of alternative and modern pop, “Saltwater Heart” lives as a fan favorite from the album “Fading West.”

Float

Wandering more and more from their original alternative sound, Switchfoot experiments once again in their latest album, “Where The Light Shines Through.” The second track, “Float,” exhibits a style similar to Foster The People through a fast-talking Foreman and an energetic bassline. Although the band has not maintained the same head-banging songs they started out with, Switchfoot has still managed to craft genuine, Christian-themed tunes while adapting to the taste of modern culture.