Categories:

Have yourself a merry little playlist

From Presley to the present, listen to the Christmas playlist that has it all.
Have yourself a merry little playlist

In the midst of finals preparation and last-minute projects, how can Biolans find relief and maybe even some joy this Christmas season? Rather than listening to your Spotify Top 100 Songs of the Year, take some time to listen to this playlist to enjoy the last few weeks of the season.

1. “Blue Christmas” – Elvis Presley

It would only be right to begin this playlist with a Christmas classic. Although Presley’s “Blue Christmas” released in 1957, the song still seems to sneak its way onto every annual Christmas playlist. Even with noses in books and eyes glued to laptop screens these last few weeks, you can avoid a blue Christmas by listening to Presley’s comforting baritenor voice this season.

2. “The Christmas Waltz” – Johnnyswim

Amanda Sudano, daughter of disco singer Donna Summer, and Abner Ramirez form husband-and-wife folk and blues duo Johnnyswim. In their version of “The Christmas Waltz,” the two melt our hearts with their harmonies and staccato-like guitar strums. This rather upbeat version of the song indeed makes you want to waltz with a loved one around a Christmas-decorated living room.

3. “Winter Wonderland / Don’t Worry Be Happy” – Pentatonix feat. Tori Kelly

Upon winning the third season of The Sing-Off in 2011, acapella quintet Pentatonix has crafted one of the most listened-to albums during Christmastime. Classical musician Arvo Part once said, “The human voice is the most perfect instrument of all,” which embodies Pentatonix entirely. Their collaboration with Tori Kelly in this cheery fusion of “Winter Wonderland / Don’t Worry Be Happy” uplifts listeners with their one-of-a-kind beatboxing and vocal support mingled with Kelly’s velvety tone.

4. “Angels We Have Heard On High” – Josh Groban feat. Brian McKnight

One would wonder how Groban’s operatic voice would accompany R&B singer McKnight’s voice, yet their collaboration in “Angels We Have Heard On High” pleasantly surprises listeners with a unique balance of two very different styles. With arpeggio-style acoustic guitar and Groban’s rich vocals, McKnight’s airy, falsetto flair meets Groban in the middle to provide a unique twist on this Christmas hymn.

5. “All I Want For Christmas Is You” – Michael Bublé

In his somber take on Mariah Carey’s “All I Want For Christmas Is You,” Bublé trades Carey’s optimistic beat and bells for a few piano chords and a simple bassline. As the sun sets earlier and nights get colder, allow this song to accompany your chilly, peaceful Christmas season nights.

6. “Jingle Bell Rock” – Bobby Helms

1957 seems to be a memorable year for the Christmas music scene. Along with Presley’s “Blue Christmas,” Helms released the classic “Jingle Bell Rock.” Although the song released over 50 years ago, its electric guitar twang remains essential for the Christmas season.

7. “What Child Is This” – Lauren Daigle

Christian contemporary artist Lauren Daigle dabbles in jazz with her rendition of “What Child Is This.” Daigle takes this 19th century Christmas carol and spices it up with an upright bass and gentle percussion to accompany her lighter, Adele-like voice. In a departure from the typical dreariness of the song, Daigle’s experimental jazz acts as the perfect track to include at your Christmas dinner party.

8. “Last Christmas” – Wham!

English pop duo Wham!, consisting of George Michael and Andrew Ridgeley, made Christmas heartbreak seem appealing when they released “Last Christmas” in 1986, expressing the notorious ‘80s synthesizer and electronic usage. This year, to save you from tears, listen to “Last Christmas.”

9. “The Christmas Song” – Justin Bieber feat. Usher

Originally released in the 1940s, “The Christmas Song” continues to be a popular Christmas song notable artists cover for Christmastime. Bieber’s adaptation of the Christmas classic features R&B beats, a fiery guitar solo and harmonies with hip-hop artist Usher.

10. “Santa Tell Me” – Ariana Grande

Although a heartbroken Grande expresses her fear of falling in love once more, listeners cannot help but want to bust a move with this warm, feel-good Christmas tune. Grande’s implementation of cheerful instrumentals and R&B sampling provides your ideal gingerbread house-decorating, dessert-baking and ice skating song.

About the Contributor
Kayla Santos
Kayla Santos, Arts & Entertainment Editor
Kayla Santos is a senior journalism major who loves gooey chocolate chip cookies, traveling to new places and playing volleyball at the beach. [email protected] Hi readers! I come to you from the city of San Jose, California, which is about one hour south of San Francisco (and has the best boba). I’ve always loved sports. I was always that girl that would rather be out playing basketball than going shopping or doing makeovers. I came into Biola as a kinesiology major with hopes of a career in sports medicine and sports training, but everything changed during the spring semester of my sophomore year. Though I still love athletics, I realized that there is something that I enjoy even more than that: storytelling. After two years as a kinesiology major, I decided to change my major to journalism.  Although I joined the Chimes party a little bit later than most, I’m thrilled to be on staff once again for my senior year at Biola. I love all kinds of music: reggae, R&B, 80’s, alternative—you name it! You can count on me to constantly be on the lookout for artists and bands that are on tour. That being said, I am so excited to be editing for the Arts and Entertainment section of the Chimes this year. When I’m not on the search for the next concert, I love going to coffee and tea shops, finding cute places to snap photos and eating Korean barbeque.