Men’s basketball takes tough loss in San Diego

Bagatourian takes leadership on the court in setback at PLNU.

Sophomore forward Michael Bagatourian attempts a layup during the Eagles' 82-54 loss at Point Loma on Dec. 5, 2018.

Courtesy of George Rodriguez/Biola Athletics

Ashley Grams, Freelance Writer

Biola men’s basketball looked to continue a three-game win streak against Point Loma Nazarene University Wednesday night, but fell short in an 82-54 blowout. Sophomore forward Michael Bagatourian led the team in points with 14.

The Eagles started fast in the first half with Bagatourian sinking two free throws within the first minute. Point Loma took a timeout several minutes later and came back with an answer, a three-pointer to make the game 10-7, PLNU. Bagatourian and senior forward Alex Talma continued to shoot the ball well, both responding with two-pointers later in the half. Again, Talma assisted Bagatourian with two minutes to go making the score a close 26-21. With a minute left on the clock, senior forward Steve Herve made the last basket of the half to narrow the score to 23-26.

Two minutes into the second half, Talma stole the ball from Point Loma’s Tanner Nelson and completed a layup to keep a tight score of 25-28. Biola struggled through three minutes of turnovers, but Talma assisted freshman guard Alex Wright with a three-pointer to keep the Eagles within striking distance. With only 6 minutes to go, Wright hit another three-pointer to bring the deficit to nine points. Biola continued to fight but Point Loma pulled away big time in the end, taking the game 82-54.

Wright racked up four three-pointers and finished with a total of 13 points.

The Eagles (6-3, 2-1 PacWest) will be back on the court this Saturday at 7:30 p.m. at Concordia University Irvine.