Men’s basketball suffers first big loss of the season

Eagles cannot keep up with the sharp-shooting Pomona-Pitzer Sagehens in a 92-67 blowout.

Photo by Aaron Zhang / THE CHIMES

Photo by Aaron Zhang / THE CHIMES

Photo by Aaron Zhang / THE CHIMES

Photo by Aaron Zhang / THE CHIMES

Tori Apodaca, Freelance Writer

Men’s basketball looked to continue their winning streak on Saturday night against the Pomona-Pitzer Sagehens. After two consecutive blowout wins in their past two outings, the Eagles ran out of momentum as they fell on the other side of a blowout in a painful 25-point deficit.

The Eagles trailed close behind Pomona-Pitzer in the first six minutes of play. However, the Sagehens started to grow their lead and never gave the Eagles the opportunity to catch up. The solid Sagehen defense kept Biola to only 54.2 percent from the field in the first half of play. In comparison, the relentless offense from Pomona-Pitzer produced a 67.9 percent field goal percentage.

Freshman forward Chris Cagle led the scoring for the Eagles in the first half with 11 points. Biola was down 53-37 at halftime with a lot of scoring to do in the second half to catch up with the Sagehens.

The margin only got worse for the Eagles in the second half. Pomona-Pitzer continued to dominate, led by senior Daniel Rosenbaum with an impressive 21 points on the night. Teammate Micah Elan was not far behind him, contributing 18 points and six assists. From 14:51 in the second-half to the final second of the game, the Sagehens maintained at least a 20-point lead on the Eagles while shooting a powerful 14 three-field percent.

Sophomore forward Michael Bagatourian, senior guard Trevor Treinen, and Cagle all posted double figures on scoring for the night, but their efforts were not nearly enough to bring the Eagles a victory. Throughout the game Biola tried to turn up the intensity to stay within reach of their opponents, but ran out of gas. The Eagles struggled to find the net, finishing with 46.2 percent shooting.

\With this painful non-conference loss, the Eagles are now 3-2 overall. The Eagles will have the opportunity to bounce back from this defeat on Wednesday, as they resume play against Saint Katherine University at home at 7:30 p.m.