“Glory Sound Prep” Review: Jon Bellion knows no limit of genre

Bellion stuns with authentic, kaleidoscopic messages in his sophomore album.

Kayla Santos, Staff Writer

Although he released his mixtape “Translation Through Speakers” in 2013, Jon Bellion did not become a familiar name until his 2016 single “All Time Low” flourished across radio stations. Since then, fans have been patiently waiting for his much-anticipated sophomore album “Glory Sound Prep,” which finally released on Nov. 9. The 10-track album’s running theme of Bellion’s desire for genuine relationships remains evident in each song.

BREW OF ASSORTED TASTES

Because each of his tunes offer various styles, listeners simply cannot confine Bellion to one particular genre. The Long Island native effortlessly strings together hints of R&B, electro-pop and rap in this album, expressing a unique sound similar to Jeremy Zucker, Blackbear or even Twenty One Pilots.

The album begins with the reverb-plenty “Conversations with my Wife,” revealing Bellion’s desires to avoid a social media-driven world through electronic cadences, synthesizer buzzes and acute choir-like murmurs.

“Will you love me when my phone turns off? I don’t want to be some digital Jesus,” Bellion sings in the chorus of “Conversations with my Wife.”

Bellion continues to reflect upon profound questions about love in his piano-suffused, electro-pop ballad “Stupid Deep.” In this song, Bellion flaunts his falsetto flair to complement the airy, background vocals and wavy electronic inflections.

“What if who I hoped to be was always me? And the love I fought to feel was always free,” Bellion sings in the chorus of “Stupid Deep.”

Bellion’s raw lyricism brings listeners into a seemingly personal journal entry. In the heart of this album lies “The Internet,” where Bellion continues the conversation of seeking genuinity in the world. Although the initial electronic blips gives the impression of an energetic party song, listeners realize that the lyrics definitely say otherwise.

“Life became dangerous the day we all became famous. No one cares if you’re happy, just as long as you claim it,” Bellion sings in the chorus of  “The Internet.”

If you thought that Bellion could not be any more vulnerable, you would be wrong. In the second half of the album, he brings listeners in on his struggle with pride in “Blu.” Introducing the song with percussive jabs and strong vocals, Bellion slows down to a dreamy, shrill chorus that is buried within his energetic verses.

The following track “Adult Swim,” featuring rap artist Tuamie, strays away from his electro-pop fashion and hones in on Bellion’s Kid Quill-like rap style. In this song, Bellion converses about his journey to fame and the criticism he has received along the way.

“For me to fake humble’s a corny way to be arrogant,” Bellion says in the first verse of  “Adult Swim.”

Bellion closes his album with “Mah’s Joint,” featuring an audio recording of Quincy Jones, to tribute his grandmother, who seems to have been suffering from a brain disease. Bellion avoids heavy instrumental and electronic usage, and he sticks to the simplicity of vocals and a light bassline. Following the verses tributed to his grandmother prevails brassy, celebrative measures, concluding in a climactic guitar reverb imbued in electronic whistles.

“When she thinks that she hasn’t seen you in so long, there are things that she’s not able to remember, so I put it in a song,” Bellion sings in “Mah’s Joint.”

EVIDENT CANDOR

Bellion’s album is no less a diary than it is a musical album. With two studio albums now under his belt, multi-genre Bellion continues to impress listeners with his eccentric, raw prowess.

Kayla Santos, Staff Writer

Kayla Santos is a junior journalism major who loves gooey chocolate chip cookies, traveling to new places, and playing with her dog named Karl.

1 Comment

1