Men’s golf wraps up fall segment of final season

Kaden Page leads the Eagles to a seventh-place finish at the ACU Firestorm Fall Invitational.

Courtesy of Biola Athletics

Senior Dominic Ariondo tees off during the Eagles’ dual match against the University of La Verne on Nov. 7.

Tori Apodaca, Freelance Writer

Men’s golf was on the road in Arizona for the Arizona Christian University Firestorm Fall Invitational on Monday and Tuesday. A total of 11 teams came together for the two days to compete in Chandler, Arizona for 36 holes of golf.

The Eagles had a hard time in their first day on the course, finishing day one in 7th place at 20 over par. On day two, Biola came back much stronger. They came out with a score of 305 in the second round, which cut three strokes off their team score. This was the best round average the Eagles had in nearly 2 months. The score landed Biola in 7th place with a total score of 613.

Junior Kaden Page continued to be Biola’s leading man, as his total score of 146 was his best since his personal record of even-par 144 from his freshman year. He shot one over par in both rounds of the 75-player field, which placed him in 4th after day one. Page shot a bogey on his third hole, but on the sixth hole he came back with a birdie. He continued this momentum in the last nine holes with birdies on holes 12 and 14.

On Tuesday, Page’s stand-out tournament continued.  Playing even-par on the back nine gave him a 9th place finish for the first top 10 finish of his collegiate career. Seniors Dominic Ariondo and Austin Bishop both finished in the top 50 of the individual leaderboard with identical scores of 155. Junior Scott Hatfield shot a 77 on Monday and a 79 on Tuesday, which was the best two-day stretch for the Eagles. Hatfield, Ariondo and Page all recorded sub-80 scores in both rounds of the tournament.

Senior Ben Crumley was not far behind these leading Eagles. He concluded his collegiate career at this invitational, placing just above 80 on Tuesday. He finished his last hole with a birdie.

This tournament concludes men’s golf’s fall 2018 season. The men will be back in action next spring on February 18, 2019 when they will compete in the Cal State San Bernardino Coyote Classic to start the home stretch of their final year as a program.