Volleyball closes out regular season with senior day win

Eagles honor seniors and earn straight-set win against Art U.

Joel Ashor, Sports Editor

Biola volleyball closed out its regular season with a PacWest matchup at home against Academy of Art University on Saturday, and five seniors were honored for their contribution to the program in their last collegiate match in Chase Gymnasium. On the special day, the Eagles took home a decisive sweep as every senior got involved in the win.

“It’s not about volleyball at all… it’s about the friends and the spiritual growth together and just the amazing community,” said senior opposite hitter Karly Dantuma, reflecting on her time as an Eagle.  

Determined to send its seniors out victorious, Biola came out on fire in the first set, taking a 13-6 lead off of several kills from Dantuma. Another duo of kills from Dantuma put the Eagles ahead 21-13, and they closed the set out 25-17 on a smash from redshirt sophomore outside hitter Christina DenBoer.

The second set began much like the first, with the Eagles taking a 16-9 lead on two aces from sophomore middle blocker Bekah Roth. Back-to-back kills from senior outside hitter Sierra Bauder made the score 20-11, and she ended the set on yet another kill as Biola took the second set 25-12.

In their final set at home, the seniors stepped up and showed the leadership they have shown all season long, as Dantuma recorded consecutive kills to put her team up 8-2. Roth put another kill down to make it 20-12, Biola, and the game ended fittingly on a block from Bauder as they clinched the sweep 25-13.

“I think we’re blessed to have [the seniors]. They’re great mentors and super unselfish and we’re gonna miss them tremendously,” said head coach Aaron Seltzer.

DenBoer led the offense with nine kills, closely followed by Dantuma with eight and Bauder with seven kills and eight blocks. Sophomore setter Vanessa Garcia tallied 15 assists and senior setter Brinley Beresford put up 13. Sophomore libero Sami Hover notched eight digs to lead the defense.

“My experience at Biola has been unlike any other program I’ve ever been a part of. It’s such genuine people who care about Christ and your personality above anything else, and then everyone happens to be really good at volleyball, so that is awesome,” Beresford said.

The Eagles close the regular season 25-6 overall and 19-3 in the PacWest. They will look to defend their NCCAA championship title on Nov. 29-Dec. 2 in Point Lookout, Missouri.