Volleyball takes home another sweep

Eagles take straight-set win over Holy Names in impressive effort.

Volleyball takes home another sweep

Photo by Marlena Lang / THE CHIMES

Photo by Marlena Lang / THE CHIMES

Photo by Marlena Lang / THE CHIMES

Joel Ashor, Sports Editor

Following two wins at home on Tuesday to advance to the NCCAA Championships later this month, volleyball was back in action at Chase Gymnasium for a PacWest clash against Holy Names University. The Eagles inserted many different players, and every one of them played well to help the Eagles sweep the Hawks.

“Tonight the seniors were solid. Our senior crew are great girls… They’re great volleyball players, but they’re also good leaders. I thought they all played well,” said head coach Aaron Seltzer.

With the first set tied at five, Biola ripped off 13 straight points, led by two kills from junior outside hitter Sabrina Winslow and many attack errors by Holy Names. Senior opposite hitter Stephanie Jewett entered the game and promptly recorded two kills as the Eagles took the set 25-12.

The Hawks put up a tougher fight in the second set, but a kill from sophomore outside hitter Savannah Hilde put Biola up 15-11. The Eagles pushed on from there as a beautiful dump from senior setter Brinley Beresford put her team up 22-14, and they won the set 25-16 on another Holy Names error.

Biola jumped ahead 6-0 early in the third set on kills from senior opposite hitter Karly Dantuma and sophomore middle blocker Bekah Roth. The Hawks clawed their way back into it at 11-8, but Dantuma stretched the lead to 15-8 on another smash. The Eagles closed out the sweep 25-14 on yet another Holy Names error.

“I was just out there having fun tonight. Brinley got to play again. She was out the last match so it was nice to have her back in, and the energy just got me hyped,” Winslow said.

Winslow led the offense with eight kills, followed by Roth, who chipped in with seven kills and an astounding eight blocks. Sophomore setter Vanessa Garcia tallied 16 assists, and Beresford put up 15. Winslow and sophomore libero Sami Hover each had 11 digs.

The Eagles (24-6, 18-3 PacWest) will look to close out conference play with a win at home Saturday against Academy of Art University at 1 p.m.

Joel Ashor, Sports Editor

Joel Ashor is a junior broadcast journalism major with a love for sports, friends, and history. Joel is a Notre Dame football, Angels baseball, and Boston Celtics fan.