Men’s soccer gets first draw of the year in conference

The Eagles tie their match against Point Loma.

Sasha Terry, Web Editor

Men’s soccer  fought to break a 0-0 tie in a matchup against the Point Loma Nazarene University Sea Lions in San Diego, California on Monday. The game went into double overtime with neither the Eagles nor the Sea Lions scoring a goal as Biola clutched their first tie in a PacWest conference match in 2018.

Biola faced a rocky start in the first half by committing 10 fouls that allowed the ball to move toward the Eagles’ goal, forcing junior goalkeeper Luis Rodriguez to grab two saves.

The Eagles pushed for a shot in the first half with senior defender Kousei Mattox striking two corner kick attempts. Junior midfielder Akhigbe Unuigbe and freshman forward Jack MacDonald each took one shot attempt but both were saved by PLNU’s goalkeeper.

In the second half, the Eagles took their most shot attempts on the goal with seven and five corner kicks. MacDonald took on two shot attempts in the half alone.

Unuigbe and redshirt sophomore midfielder Atu Galadima each took two shot attempts. MacDonald also recorded four shot attempts overall. Rodriguez defended the goal with one save in the second overtime, causing the game to end with a final score of 0-0.

The tie moved the Eagles to 4-4-1 in conference and 6-8-2 overall and the Eagles will host Holy Names University on Thursday at 4 p.m.