Learn valuable life lessons before exiting Biola

Instead of hoping for great opportunities, students should seek persistence, ingenuity and life experiences.

Logan Zeppieri, Opinions Editor

Graduation is one semester away, and for many plans for what comes next are already beginning to hatch. Graduate students are looking for Ph.D. opportunities and funding. Undergraduate students are looking for jobs, graduate schools and funding. Even doctoral students are looking for opportunities, such as funding. Everyone is looking for funding.

However, during our time at university, whatever degree you may soon obtain or opportunities you may be seeking, we often hope that great opportunities land in our lap. Instead, take the time to learn three valuable life lessons: persistence, ingenuity and life experience.

PERSISTENCE

On Aug. 18, 2007, Brian Smith posted a photo on Facebook of a student walking from his car.

Though many have pointed out the Smith’s kindness, there is something special to be noticed in the student. Instead of shrugging his shoulder and going home, he did the next best thing. The student went door to door. And on the third door, his persistence paid off.

INGENUITY

During the 2016 hurricane in Florida, Eric Olsen, a man from Nebraska, was worried for the safety of Claire Olsen, his grandmother and a Florida resident. He had been unable to get into contact with her over two days, even after contacting the police and fire departments.

Due to the hurricane, they were unable to service his request. Instead of waiting, he did the next best thing. He ordered pizza from the local Papa John’s and placed special instructions.

When Lance Tyler had arrived to his delivery, he noticed special instructions—a phone number. He called, thinking the house had large dogs that needed to be put away. Eric picked up, asking if his grandmother was okay. Tyler knocked on the door and gave his phone over to Claire.

Instead of waiting for emergency response, Eric had to find a new way to get someone over to his grandmother’s house. And in 30 minutes, Papa Johns was there.

LIFE EXPERIENCE

By the time I had turned 16 years old, I had completed reading Upgrading and Repairing PC’s, a 1600-page behemoth on the development of architecture of every major computer hardware part, sprinkled with a few suggestions on how to upgrade and repair PC’s.

One night, my computer would not turn on. Equipped with much technical knowledge, I unplugged my computer and began sorting through all the hardware. I finally found the problem—inside the power supply a fuse had burned out.

The solution was simple: bridge the fuse with a paperclip. In this moment, many people argue that bypassing a fuse often means bypassing the safety check. A fuse burns out to prevent a surge from damaging other important electronic components—one of the functions of a desktop’s power supply. However, there is a second problem, which I knew but had not considered. The moment I wrapped the paperclip around the fuse, connecting both sides, I felt an intense burning sensation shoot up my arm.

A power supply, like other electronics, stores electricity, even when unplugged.

At university, we will have many opportunities to absorb technical knowledge, but life has a way of forcing us to distinguish what is important—be it the light-bulb “ah-ha!” moment or a burning sensation up through the elbow.

MORAL OF THE STORIES

At university, we have many opportunities to learn and we must take those opportunities. But along the way do not forget persistence, ingenuity and life experience. Often times you will find that doors are slammed shut and the solution is to do the next best thing and push through. Sometimes, you will be caught between a rock and a hard place, and the best way is to phone an unlikely friend. For others, remember to get out of the dorm and fail at a few things allow life to teach you what it is important.

For those who are still looking for funding after graduation, you may need to be persistent, ingenious or perhaps allow life to deal you a tough hand and remind you what is important in life.