Men’s soccer takes blowout after offense explodes for four goals

Eagles grab a win in their final match in the islands over Hawaii-Hilo.

Photo Illustration by Kyle Kohner

Sasha Terry, Web Editor

Men’s soccer played their last of three matches in Hawaii against the Hawaii Hilo University Vulcans Tuesday. In the shadow of the massive Hawaiian volcanoes, it was the Eagles’ offense that erupted. Biola recorded its highest number of goals in a match this season with a 4-0 win.

In the first half, Biola pushed a tough defense on the Vulcans, as Hilo mustered only one shot attempt on goal in the half that sophomore goalkeeper Alex Muir grabbed for his lone save of the night.

At the 37 minute mark, the Eagles grabbed their first goal of the night. Junior forward Hunter Finnegan scored, helped by combined assists from senior midfielder Kousei Mattox and sophomore forward Jack MacDonald. The assists marked Mattox’s fourth and MacDonald’s first of the season.

The Eagles got off to a quick start in the second half, scoring a second goal 11 minutes in. It marked the first of junior forward Leo Thompson’s two goals of the night for Biola.

After a foul on the Vulcans, the Eagles scored two more goals back-to-back, within a few seconds of each other. In the 55th minute, Thompson scored his second goal of the game and eighth of the season.

Biola scored their final goal of the game just 30 seconds later when junior midfielder Akhigbe Unuigbe scored his first goal of the season with an assist from senior midfielder Aaron Hontucan which also marked his first assist of the season.

Overall, a multitude of Eagles attempted 21 shots and six corner kicks. Junior forward Lorenzo Macias, Thompson and MacDonald each contributed with four shot attempts.

The victory moved the Eagles to 4-2-0 in the PacWest conference and 6-6-1 overall. They will continue play at home against Fresno Pacific University on Saturday at 4 p.m.