Global student’s fall playlist

Listen to this diverse playlist, recommended by global students.

Thecla Li, Visual Editor

Music is as vital to the representation of diverse countries as international food or distinguished architecture. As cultures have developed and grown, so do the melodies, rhythms and beats that define them.

Can one hear the ringing strings of the Chinese pipa and not picture the snaking Great Wall of China that lines the rolling, misty mountains of Beijing? What else besides the quickly paced beats Mexico’s music can personify the country’s festive culture?

Get your headphones ready. Here are 5 songs from around the globe, recommended to you by your very own Global Students.

“Tu Calor” by Julieta Venegas

Shika Vivanco –– Mexico

“Tu Calor” is a chilling song that speaks of the beauty of new love. Venegas’ unique, jazzy voice adds a classy touch to the melody. As if the song was not already amazing, the instrumentals also contribute to its sharp, chilling vibes.

Vivanco is an alumna from Mexico. To her, music is important to culture for “two main reasons—it serves as an expression of the culture in its current context, and it can also show the development of the culture through the years as seen in the mixture of genres and musical sounds.”

“Amor de Anticuario” by Sofia Ellar

Mikayla Stiff –– Spain

“Amor de Anticuario” is perfect song for twilight. Paired with Ellar’s beautiful voice, the tune has a ghostly tone that welcomes darkness falling on the city. The chorus transitions this dark tone to a celebration of lively nightlife.

“There are specific sounds that represent a ‘home-ness’ in a Spanish song,” said Stiff, a sophomore cinema and media arts major. “Spanish music is community oriented, and these sounds point to that attribute. For example in ‘Amor de Anticuario’, a Cajón, a commonly used instrument in Spain, is featured. The song also uses a triple meter which gives it a dance-like rhythm.”

“For Love” by The Sam Willows

Yana Li –– Singapore

“For Love” is lined with a beautiful harmony of voices. The band’s four unique voices give it an especially addictive sound. As one of the songs with a more light melody, it compliments “Tu Calor” and “Ochii āia Verzi,” two other songs in this playlist, perfectly.

“Music shows what people in that time wanted to celebrate or remember. Music is passed down easily and without much effort compared to pieces of art,” said Li, an alum.” The culture behind the music can influence the current culture of the people who are listening to it.”

“Ochii āia Verzi” by Randi

Filip Peia –– Romania

This song embraces the heart and soul’s reminiscing and yearning from those recently heartbroken. Randi’s tune graced the ears of its listeners with resounding electric guitar undertones and poetic, cohesive lyrics.

Peia is a junior from Romania double majoring in psychology and mathematics. To him, music is important to teach others about diverse cultures.

“It is a means through which cultures express themselves,” Peia said. “Music helps people remember who they are culturally and also shines a light into another world for outside cultures.”

“Let You Go” (Bahasa Version) by TheOvertunes.

Evita Larissa –– Indonesia

“Let You Go” is a light-hearted acoustic piece surrounded by hints of nostalgia. The song’s youthful tone bring your feet to tap themselves away on the subway.

Larissa is a junior music major from Jakarta, Indonesia. She believes that music helps people understand cultures better as they experience unique sounds.

“There are traditional instruments that sound different depending on the culture and can then give a song a completely unique cultural twist,” Larissa said.