Biola reaffirms LGBT policy after controversy at Azusa Pacific

As APU deals with fallout of a landmark rule change and rapid reversal, Biola’s administration responds.

As college students across the country prepared to start the fall 2018 semester, one of Biola’s closest peers was rocked by a firestorm of controversy over its handling of LGBT students on its campus.

Azusa Pacific University, a school with similar origins and beliefs as Biola—not to mention the longstanding athletic rivalry between the two—has made national headlines over the past month because of its decision to remove, then reinstate, its ban on public LGBT relationships on its campus.

APU TRUSTEES VETO LGBT POLICY CHANGE

APU’s initial change to its student standard of conduct coincided with the start of the current semester, but had been in the works long before then. School administration and student leaders had been discussing the change for nearly a year, according to a Sept. 18 report from Zu News, APU’s student-run news publication.

An APU administration member told Zu News that the school still maintained its previous perspective on human sexuality and that the altered code of conduct remained in alignment with that view.

After receiving criticism from both inside and outside the university, Azusa Pacific’s board of trustees announced on Sept. 28 that it was reinstating the old student conduct language and said it had never approved any changes in the first place.

The reversal caused a flurry of local and national media coverage, and sparked increased tensions between APU and some students and alumni, according to Zu News and the Los Angeles Times. APU administration has reportedly remained open to dialogue on the subject while Haven, APU’s longtime underground LGBT student group, has been absorbed by Azusa Pacific’s student life department as an on-campus ministry.

BIOLA AFFIRMS STANCE ON HUMAN SEXUALITY AND COMMITMENT TO CARE FOR LGBT STUDENTS

While Biola administration has not commented directly on the reversal and reimplementation of APU’s ban, a statement provided to the Chimes reasserted the school’s view on human sexuality, which aligns with APU’s.

“Biola’s position on human sexuality is grounded in our long-standing institutional religious identity. Biola’s decisions on issues specified in the school’s policies are based on our Articles of Faith which have been untouched since Biola’s early years,” the statement read in part.

Biola’s doctrinal statement defines biblical marriage as consisting only of a heterosexual union between a genetic male and genetic female, calling it the “only acceptable context” for a sexual relationship.

As part of the lengthy section on sexual identity in its student handbook, Biola states that conduct that goes against university policy will result in a “disciplinary process” which ultimately seeks the redemption and development of all involved. The school also says it laments the “insensitive and often callous treatment that students working through these issues may have received from the Christian community.”

In regards to the LGBT community that exists on the Biola campus, the statement from administration also affirmed the the university’s resolve to extend compassion, humility, care and spiritual guidance in conversations about human sexuality.

“We pledge to extend compassion and care to all students as they choose to live within the context of Biola’s faith based values. Biola is open to think at increasingly deep dimensions about sexual ethics guided by God’s sovereign word,” the statement read. “Biola has a university sanctioned group called The Dwelling that provides a caring and supportive community where students who identify as LGBT can journey together, reconciling their faith and life circumstances as they grow in discipleship to Christ while still upholding and affirming the university’s positions on human sexuality through the lens of biblical grace.”

The statement also quoted President Barry Corey as saying, “We need to be outspoken in condemning violence and gross injustices toward the LGBT community, not just in the Christian community but in society at large.”

WHAT IS THE DWELLING?

The Dwelling, which did not immediately respond to a request for comment, defines itself on its Student Hub page as aiming to “be a caring and supportive community where students who identify as LGBTQ or experience same-sex attraction (SSA) can journey together.” As the statement from the administration said, it is a school-sanctioned community that still upholds Biola’s doctrinal statement.

“We seek to hold the tension of our deep conviction on marriage and the practical applications of this position, while showing compassion and care toward students that identify as LGBTQ or experience SSA,” the Dwelling’s page says. “Relationally supporting our students is not the same as supporting same-sex marriage.”

The Dwelling also says it seeks to mimic the acts of Jesus in the way that he interacted with the people around him. They hope to provide discipleship for students through the lens of biblical grace.

“Our example is that of Jesus, who spent time with people from all walks of life, balancing grace and truth in his responses to their life circumstances,” according to the Student Hub page.

View Comments (4)
About the Contributors
Macie Cummings
Macie Cummings, News Editor (Fall 2018)
Macie Cummings is a senior journalism major on a mission to find the best iced vanilla latte. She is passionate about all things Disney, the Dodgers, and the Office. [email protected] Four years ago, I never would have thought my Biola experience would turn out the way that it did. I am from the small town of Visalia, California, and if you don’t know where that is, just picture cows in the middle of the Central Valley and you’re there. I am the oldest of three girls, and we are incredibly close. However, I was ecstatic about the opportunity to move down to Southern California. The fact that I would only be living nine miles away from Disneyland may have been a key factor when choosing a school. While wrapping up my senior year of high school, I was confident in my decision to become an elementary school teacher. At some point that summer, I had an epiphany: I did not want to be in school for the rest of my life. I decided to take a huge risk and apply for Biola’s film program. After a year of only taking general education courses, I found out I had been accepted, only to go and switch my major yet again. The journalism program sparked my interest, when I realized that film was not for me. I have a passion for creating videos, so I chose an emphasis in broadcast journalism. After a semester of broadcast classes, and a lot of prayer, I decided to switch my emphasis to visual media, which is where I’ve planted myself. I have learned that I thoroughly enjoy many different aspects of the journalism and content creation industry, so this seemed like the best fit. I am looking forward to my year as a news editor for the Chimes, and the opportunity to grow in my writing and storytelling abilities. I know this year will be a year of learning and growth, and I cannot think of a better way to spend my last year at Biola.
Austin Green
Austin Green, Managing Editor
Austin Green is a junior journalism major who was first among his friends to predict that LeBron James would sign with the Los Angeles Lakers. When not focused on school or work, he enjoys watching sports, going to the beach or coffee shops, and hanging out with the guys on his dorm floor. [email protected] I laughed the first time I heard a former editor-in-chief use the line “once you join the Chimes, you never really leave.” Now in my third year here, it turns out the joke’s on me. After two years in the sports section, including last year as sports editor, I’m thrilled to be serving this year as managing editor to help build upon the legacy of such a great publication. My aspirations remain in sports journalism, but experience has deepened my love for dedicated local news reporting and its importance in communities. Much of my appreciation for that type of journalism came through working as a digital production intern for NBC Los Angeles last summer. There I helped cover stories such as the Trader Joe’s hostage crisis, the Cranston and Holy wildfires, and the Lakers’ overhaul of their iconic uniforms. I am so excited to help build this next chapter of the Chimes as we become a web-first publication with a deeper, dedicated focus on the communities in and around campus. I also contribute a print sports column, “Everything Eagles,” which provides a deeper look into Biola Athletics.
Isabelle Thompson, Business Manager
Isabelle Thompson is a senior business marketing major who enjoys gloomy weather, reading and national parks. She is also an advocate for adventure and trying new things. Good literature has always been a source of inspiration for me. Through the years I have become influenced by authors ranging from Jane Austin, Mark Twain and Scott Fitzgerald to more modern writers including Andy Weir and Stephen Chobsky. Each story I have come across has had a role in shaping the way I see the world and who I am today. It was my love of writing and storytelling which drew me to the position of News Editor at The Chimes my sophomore year. Through that experience I learned the skills necessary to produce consistent, factual and engaging stories that informed and documented events that impacted my immediate community. It was a new kind of storytelling for me which came with the responsibility of doing justice to the very real themes and lives portrayed. Coming back to The Chimes as a senior business marketing major, I feel lucky to have the position of business manager. While I will be taking a step back from writing, I am excited to be surrounded by excellent storytellers and support the publication in a way that aligns with my goals for a career in business.