“Malibu Nights” Review: LANY navigates through heartbreak in latest album

The wait for LANY’s sophomore album is finally over.

Kayla Santos, Staff Writer

Indie pop band LANY released their much-anticipated sophomore album, “Malibu Nights,” on Oct. 5. Although it has only been less than a week since its release, most of the album’s songs already boast over 1 million plays on Spotify. This nine-track album fueled by heartache and confusion may as well be titled “LANY’s diary: a guide to breakups.”

ALBUM OF HEARTACHE

Thru These Tears” and “I Don’t Wanna Love You Anymore” released as singles this past summer, giving fans a glimpse of the heartbreaking and painful nature of the album which brings sadness and confusion together with a dance-inducing, upbeat vibe.

LANY frontman Paul Klein admits the lyrical theme of the album deals with the aftermath of his January breakup, presenting their new album, steeped in soul and passion.

The album opens with “Thick and Thin,” which the Los Angeles-based trio released as a single last month. Although the song may sound joyful at first, the lyrics say otherwise.

“But was it really love if you could leave me for something so innocent? Is this the end? Thought you’d be there through thick and thin,” Klein sings.

Following “Thick and Thin,” electronic-based songs “Taking Me Back” and “If You See Her” paint descriptive stories of wanting someone back right after a breakup. Both of these synth-heavy songs of confusion, denial and doubt lead into “I Don’t Wanna Love You Anymore.” From this point forward, the album takes a lighter turn, reminiscing on the acceptance of break up.

“I don’t wanna love you anymore. From the start, I never thought I’d say this before, but I don’t wanna love you anymore,” Klein confesses in the chorus of “I Don’t Wanna Love You Anymore.”

Unlike LANY’s usual style, “Let Me Know” features R&B beats and jazzy chords. This chill song is perfect for a slower night, as Klein continually laments his break up. The following song, “Run,” infuses hip-hop beats and acoustic guitar to match Klein’s emotional lyrics of frustration.

The last three songs of the album leave frustration and return to sorrow. “Valentine’s Day” drops the electronic usage and highlights the simplicity of the piano. In this song, Klein compares the new girl he has been seeing to his ex-girlfriend. Although he is trying to move on, he cannot seem to shake the thought of his first love off of his mind.

“No matter what I tell myself, she’s not as good as you,” Klein honestly sings.

LANY showcases their famous synth-pop vibe in “Thru These Tears,” which was the first single released from the album. The song realizes that even in the midst of pain, we can trust that everything will be okay in the end. Finally, the album finishes with “Malibu Nights,” a slow, piano ballad that ends Klein’s painful laments.

FIT FOR A LATE NIGHT DRIVE

With a concoction of slow ballads and bouncy synth-tunes, “Malibu Nights” is the type of album you would want to listen on a late night drive. This 33-minute album may even convince you that your heart is broken too.