Women’s golf wins second straight invitational

Eagles shoot excellent as a team to claim victory for consecutive straight week.

Joel Ashor, Sports Editor

Women’s golf traveled to Prescott, Ariz. to participate in the Embry-Riddle Co-Ed Invitational Oct. 8-9. The Eagles came away with a first place finish in the team competition and three golfers finished in the top five.

Junior Tori Roeske led the way in round one for the Eagles shooting a 74, followed by junior Alexis Gopfert with a 75. Junior Jules Loibl finished third on the round for Biola with a 76, followed by sophomore Sophia Karnazes and freshman Sami Penor who each shot an 81.

Roeske led round two as well, shooting a 73 followed yet again by Gopfert with a 74. Loibl and Karnazes both shot a 73, and Penor tallied an 80 in round two.

In the third and final round, Roeske shot a 77 to finish with a 224 total, good enough for a tie for second overall in the individual competition with teammate Loibl, who put up a fantastic last round of 71 to finish with 224 as well. Closely following her teammates was Gopfert, who shot a last round of 79 to finish in fourth with a total score of 228. Karnazes came in eighth with a final 238, and Penor finished 15th with a 243 overall score.

The Eagles’ overall score of 910 was good enough to take first out of six schools in the team competition, marking golf’s second straight victory.

Biola competes next at the NCCAA championships in Palm Coast, Fla. on Oct. 22-24.