Two days, two PacWest sweeps for volleyball

Eagles win in straight sets against Holy Names.

Sophomore outside hitter Christina DenBoer celebrates with her team during the Eagles’ win over Sonoma State on Sept. 1. Courtesy George Rodriguez/Biola Athletics

Joel Ashor, Sports Editor

Biola volleyball took on Holy Names University in a road PacWest matchup on Friday, and the Eagles shone from start to finish, picking up their second sweep in as many days.

In the first set, both teams came out strong, with sophomore middle blocker Bekah Roth tallying three early kills. The Eagles gained a slight advantage off of several Hawks errors to take a 19-16 lead late in the first set, and a smash from senior opposite hitter Karly Dantuma gave Biola the 25-19 set win.

Biola came out much more focused in the second set, taking a 12-7 lead on two kills from senior middle blocker Sierra Bauder. The offense would continue to produce, as senior opposite hitter Hannah Van Warmerdam put her team up 22-13, and they closed out the set 25-14 on yet another Hawks hitting error.

Looking to finish off the the sweep, the middle blocker play continued to shine as Bauder put down a kill to give Biola the 15-13 lead, and the sloppy offensive play from HNU continued to hurt them. Several errors and a Dantuma smash gave the Eagles set point, and Bauder recorded yet another kill to finish the sweep 25-21.

Bauder was a force to be reckoned with, tallying 15 kills and two blocks to lead the offense. Van Warmerdam and Roth chipped in seven kills apiece, and senior setter Brinley Beresford recorded 23 assists. Sophomore libero Sami Hover had an impressive 21 digs while Van Warmerdam also tallied 13.

Biola (7-4, 3-1 PacWest) returns home to Chase Gymnasium to take on Chaminade University on Monday at 7 p.m.