Women’s soccer earns draw

Eagles battle to tough 1-1 tie after double overtime.

Sophomore goalkeeper Alyssa Joel (0) makes a save in overtime during the Eagles’ game against Cal State San Marcos on Sept. 6, 2018. Courtesy George Rodriguez/Biola Athletics

Joel Ashor, Sports Editor

Biola traveled to take on Cal State University San Marcos on Thursday, fighting their way to a 1-1 draw. Both teams’ goalies played extremely well, especially the Eagles’ starter for the afternoon, junior Alyssa Joel. She tallied four saves to hold the Cougars to one goal through the entirety of the match and two ten-minute overtime periods.

Biola broke through to tie the score in the 69th minute when freshman defender Rachel Melvin’s shot found the back of the goal for the Eagles’ lone goal of the game.

It became apparent from the start that neither team would budge much on defense, as the two teams combined for only four total shots on goal the entire first half.

The Eagles put up several good looks, including when freshman defender Aubrey Fergeson took a shot seven minutes into the match that was blocked by the Cougar’s keeper. Another header shot by sophomore midfielder Danielle Lord missed just high. San Marcos’s Madison Bivens pushed through the lone goal of the first half to put her team up 1-0 at the break.

The second half was more of the same as both teams goalies recorded saves early on. After Melvin’s equalizer knotted things up, several more shots came close from both teams. None of them found the back of the net though, sending the game to overtime.

Six minutes into overtime, the Cougars made a strong push, but Joel made the save to send the game into a second overtime period.

The second overtime saw the Eagles make a much stronger attack on the goal, starting with junior forward Sarah Jeffries’ header under a minute in.

The Cougars keeper was made the save, followed by two more saves on a shot by junior midfielder Hali Oakes and another shot by Lord. The game ended ended in a 1-1 tie led by the strong play of both goalies.

Biola continues play Saturday at Cal State University Monterey Bay at 3 p.m.