La Mirada residents feel effects of Tuesday earthquake

A 4.4 earthquake shook residents all over Southern California. Here is how you can stay safe for the next one.

Macie Cummings, News Editor

La Verne, Calif. residents were taken by surprise when a 4.4 magnitude earthquake hit on Aug. 28. While the quake hit hardest at its epicenter, residents all over Southern California, including those in La Mirada, could feel the effects. Though the quake was only a quick jolt for those around Biola’s campus, future earthquakes could pose a higher threat.

HOW WE CAN BE PREPARED

Because of Biola’s location in Southern California, small earthquakes are not uncommon. Whether they are small local earthquakes or the effects of larger, distant shakes, students should be prepared, knowing the right protocol for any situation.

Here are some simple steps to take in the event of an earthquake:

– Have a plan. Become familiar with what to do and where to go in the event of an earthquake.

– Drop down and take cover under a desk, table or sturdy surface.

– Stay indoors until the shaking stops and it is deemed safe to exit.

– Stay away from windows, shelves and walls that have items that could fall off.

– If outside, get away from trees, tall buildings and power lines.

When an earthquake hits, it is important to think and act quickly in order to keep yourself and those around you safe.

Campus Safety has worked to spread earthquake awareness in the past through emails to students as well as through interactive stimulators. Last October, Big Shaker Enterprises brought an interactive earthquake simulator onto campus, which allowed participants to experience a 7.8 magnitude earthquake.