Watch a movie that will bring out the kid in you

“The Greatest Showman” embodies child-like faith of Matthew 18:2-4.

Ashley Brimmage, Opinions Editor

Over the holidays, I went to see “The Greatest Showman” with family, and like most of America, I was swept up in wonder. The film portrays a childlike wonder and hope for a world full of joy and creativity—a way of living life differently and seeing beauty and possibility in everything.

The song, “A Million Dreams,” speaks of this as well as the ideal of risking it all for a calling, love and a purpose not understood by the masses.

I close my eyes and I can see

The world that’s waiting up for me

That I call my own

Through the dark, through the door

Through where no one’s been before

But it feels like home

In the Christian life, it is easy to become burdened down by impending schoolwork, by student loans, by expectations and the desire to succeed and strive. “The Greatest Showman” reminds us that stepping in to who we are called to be takes time, wonder and above all, trust.

They can say, they can say it all sounds crazy

They can say, they can say I’ve lost my mind

I don’t care, I don’t care, so call me crazy

We can live in a world that we design

‘Cause every night I lie in bed

The brightest colors fill my head

A million dreams are keeping me awake

I think of what the world could be

A vision of the one I see

A million dreams is all it’s gonna take

A million dreams for the world we’re gonna make

This movie portrays a Christ-like vision of the world, and a Gospel-inspired acceptance of what may seem different and strange for the sake of love, imagination and what is good. Christ calls us to “become like children” in Matthew 18:2-4:

“Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.”

Although they may say we are crazy, and although our dreams may seem daunting or impossible to reach, we must continue to remind ourselves of the joy that one has as a child. We must seek to remember the specific characteristics of that child-like dancing and singing and creating faith of which Jesus marvels at and adores. Think of the millions of dreams that he has placed within us, and let us work towards their coming to reality. Thank goodness we have Jesus to bring light into our lives, and movies like “The Greatest Showman” to give us a tune to hum and a spring in our step.