Women’s basketball gets another blowout

Eagles win second straight with huge victory over NDNU.

Sasha Terry, Staff Writer

The Eagles played against Notre Dame de Namur University in Belmont, Calif. on Jan. 27. Biola again jumped ahead of their opponent in the first minutes and held onto that lead throughout the game. The Eagles ended the game with their second win of the week, by a victory of 69-50.

EAGLES LEAD FROM START

To start the game, the Eagles quickly ran up an eight-point lead over NDNU. Their defense came out strong as they scored 10 points off of turnovers alone in the first quarter. The quarter ended with sophomore guard Tatum Brimley making one more layup in the last three seconds to move the score to 20-9. The Eagles continued to gain turnovers and allowed even fewer opportunities for NDNU to score in the second quarter. The Eagles widened the gap to as many as 20 points late in the second half. NDNU attempted to catch up to the Eagles in the last seconds before the half by scoring four points, narrowing the lead to 16 points at halftime.

GAP WIDENS BETWEEN EAGLES AND NDNU

The opening of the second half proved to be slower for the Eagles as they only scored 12 points. NDNU jumped at this opportunity by scoring a game high of 18 points and narrowing the lead to only 10 points. The third quarter ended 48-38 with the Eagles looking to regroup. In the fourth quarter, the Eagles came back with energy to score 21 points. With 3:25 remaining, junior guard Danielle Kennedy made a layup to extend Biola’s lead to 24. After this NDNU put on a five-point run in the remaining minutes to put the final score at 69-50.

The Eagles grabbed a total of 50 rebounds and 15 assists. Freshman forward Jazz Benn put up 20 points and grabbed 13 rebounds. Benn, senior guard DeMoria White and junior forward Jessica Shill led the team with three assists each.

This win moved the Eagles to 6-6 in the PacWest conference and 9-9 overall. The Eagles hope to achieve a winning record in their game against Academy of Art University in San Francisco, Calif. on Jan. 29 at 5:30 p.m.