Women’s swim stifled at APU

Away from the Cornerstone Cup spotlight, women’s swim suffered a team defeat to their archrivals.

Chak Hee Lo/THE CHIMES [file]

Chak Hee Lo/THE CHIMES [file]

Chak Hee Lo/THE CHIMES [file]

Austin Green, Writer

Away from the Cornerstone Cup spotlight, women’s swim suffered a team defeat to their archrivals.  |  Chak Hee Lo/THE CHIMES [file]

In one of the few matchups between Biola and Azusa Pacific University to not count towards Cornerstone Cup points, the Eagles’ women’s swim team lost at Azusa, Calif. to their APU counterparts on Nov. 4. The men’s swim team traveled north as well, but only competed against one another in individual and relay events as the Cougars do not have a men’s team.

SILVER LININGS IN TOUGH DAY

Senior Lisa Tixier fell to APU’s Elodie Poo Cheong in the 50-yard freestyle, one of her signature events, by just three-hundredths of a second. Tixier bounced back, however, to win the 100-yard freestyle with a stellar 53.59 time. Sophomore Emily Silzel continued her breakout season with a victory in the 100-yard breaststroke, posting a time of 1:10.02. Silzel also picked up a second-place finish in the 200-yard freestyle.

The Eagles also won both women’s relay events. A quartet comprised of sophomore Rachel Stinchcomb, Silzel, Tixier and junior Rebecca Brandt came first in the 400-yard medley with a 4:06.75 time. Senior Sophia Dammann, junior Naomi Abascal, freshman Alyssa Archdale and senior Thomine Mortensen combined to win the 200-yard freestyle relay with a 1:51.27 mark. However, the Eagles did not have much else to show for their efforts as APU dominated the majority of the meet’s other races.

LOTS OF WINNERS IN INTRASQUAD ACTION

With little at stake besides improvement of times and bragging rights within their team, the men raced in much smaller fields with individual victories spread evenly among much of the roster. Senior Tom Franicevich won the 50-yard free and 100-yard free, making him the only one on the men’s side to win multiple races. Sophomores Andrew Benson, Raymond Kam and Matthew Roe each picked up an individual win, as did junior Noah Reed.

The meet did not affect the Cornerstone Cup, as points for that battle will be distributed depending on which women’s swim team finishes higher in the PacWest championships. The Eagles will receive nearly a month-long layoff before returning to action in a three-day collegiate winter invite at East Los Angeles College on Dec. 1-3.