Eagles shut out in Iowa

The Eagles volleyball season ended after a shutout loss against Northwestern University in Iowa.

Jesse Kleinjan, Writer

The Eagles volleyball season came to an end last week in chilly Sioux City, Iowa, at the NAIA national championship. Biola started strong against No. 3 seed Northwestern in front of nearly 1500 spectators at the Tyson Events Center, 40 miles from the Northwestern campus.

Biola started strong against the Red Raiders but fell off quickly after a close first set. After taking the first set 28-26, the Eagles couldn’t muster much more of an attack, falling 25-20 and 25-16, only the second time this season they have failed to win a set –- the first coming in late October against No. 1 Fresno Pacific.

With the loss, the Eagles failed to advance to the playoff round of the national tournament for the first time in their last two appearances. Hopes are high for next year, though, as the majority of the team will remain intact. Only three seniors will be on their squad.

Senior libero Katie Stevens finished her career with an all-time Biola record in total digs (2062) and the record for the most digs per season (601). Stevens led the Eagles in all major defensive categories, including digs per set (4.26) and serve receptions per set (5.1).

Middle blocker Kelsey Christopherson finished the year as the Eagles main offensive threat and garnered a handful of personal accolades as well. Named All-GSAC in November, the senior was also named to the ESPN Academic All-America Volleyball Third Team. Christopherson finished the year with a .332 hitting percentage, a .75 block per set average and was one of the most versatile Eagles. The career-middle spent two weeks at outside hitter when injuries took their toll on the Eagles.

Opposite Meghan Cunningham had her best year at Biola, garnering 142 kills for a .179 hitting percentage. She also had 81 blocks.

The Eagles finished the season with a total 23-11 record in what was supposedly a rebuilding year, climbing into the No. 10 national ranking at the end of the regular season.