Employee Christmas party supports students

An artisan auction accompanies Biola’s annual Faculty and Staff Christmas Party.

Veronica Robles, Writer

Biola’s Annual Faculty and Staff Christmas Party took a unique turn last Thursday, when an artisan auction in the gym raised $540 for the Biola Fund.

The faculty decided to do this auction as a way to help ease some of the economic difficulties many students and their families are facing. Gift baskets, earrings, bags, TV trays, paintings and purses were among the auctioned-off items. All items were handmade by either faculty or friends of faculty.

The Biola fund is the source for students’ scholarships, and has a goal of $2.5 million for 2009-2010.

Michele Hughes, executive secretary for President Corey, was one of the artisans.

“I love to sew and it is for a good cause. I am more than happy to help out,” Hughes said. “I believe this auction was a great idea, it raises awareness of the Biola Fund. I myself was a beneficiary of the Biola Fund in 1992.”

Bids were placed on half of the items within the first 20 minutes of the auction. Employee Sandra Roode bid on multiple items.

“I love all the items, especially the foreign ones,” Roode said. “And it is for a good cause, so I’m glad to bid on them. I also love to shop.”

Other attractions at the staff party included a picture booth with a cut out of Barry Corey, a Candyland booth with all types of treats for those with a sweet tooth and a place where employees could send Christmas cards to soldiers overseas.

The Whittier Daily News acknowledged employee’s efforts in a Dec. 4 article.