Men’s soccer builds on “epic season”

Men’s soccer held tough at the top of GSAC with a 1-0 win against Point Loma.

Chris Munekawa, Writer

After suffering their first GSAC loss of the season last week against Fresno Pacific University, Biola men’s soccer won on Saturday afternoon in a 1-0 game versus Point Loma Sea Lions.

The victory puts the Eagles at 11-2-1 on the season and 6-1-1 in conference play. As the Eagles approach the end of the season, they need to win two final matches to claim their second conference crown in Biola’s history.

In what has been an epic season for the Biola soccer team, the Biola athletic Web site has a poll that asks what the biggest surprise of the year has been for Biola sports. An overwhelming 72 percent of 160 voters claim that the Biola men’s soccer team has been the biggest surprise. Ask any of the players on the team and they will say that they are not surprised; they have practiced hard and their talent is starting to show in what the head coach has called an “epic season.”

Saturday’s contest against Point Loma has been an example of Biola’s hard work throughout the year. Even though the Sea Lions fired off five shots within the first 18 minutes of play, the Eagles marched down the field and were able to draw a foul just outside of the box. Sophomore midfielder, Zach Bautista drilled his third goal of the season from 25 yards out in the 20th minute. The ball flew past the diving keeper and found the back of the net. Little did either team know that the goal would become the eventual game-winner.

Goalkeeper Aaron Fenlason continues to play stellar as he recorded his 10th clean sheet of the year, tying the franchise record for shutouts in a single season. Fenlason came up huge in the second half as he recorded five of his six saves in the second half.

Even though the Eagles played aggressive throughout the game and ended up drawing five yellow cards, they did not receive any red cards. All in all, it was a well-fought game that featured 8 shots on goal from both teams in the final half.

Biola closes their season against Master’s College on Oct. 31. Master’s is currently on top of the GSAC division with a 7-1 record.