Biola cross country hosts top teams in Irvine

Men finish 8th at Biola Invitational in Irvine, women finish 4th.

Nathan Palatsky, Writer

The atmosphere was that of a championship race on Saturday, when the sun rose on a clear sky over Irvine Regional Park for the Biola Invitational.

The men ran first. It was a fast field, led by 8th ranked California State San Marcos. It was a brutal 5-mile course including two moderate climbs.

“It was a different kind of course than we are used to,” Eagles junior Evan Thibodeau said. “But we stayed strong.”

The first Biolan to finish was senior Ryan Richert who crossed the line at 25:48, 12th in the field of 112. Freshman Spencer Lyle ran 26:35, which was good enough for 31st overall.

“I was anxious going in with so many top teams here,” Lyle said after the race. “I didn’t want to let anyone down.”

Lyle is adapting to the 5-mile course, as opposed to the 3-mile he ran in high school.

“I’m getting more comfortable with it,” Lyle said. “And the team is really close. It’s good to have brothers to carry you.”

The Eagles finished 8th out of 11 teams.

“We just have to maintain and stay healthy,” Thibodeau said. “Coming to GSAC, we have to be confident in the work we have done, and that it will pay off.”

The women’s field was peppered with national championship contenders, including the 3rd ranked Eagles. The latest NAIA national rankings had APU No. 1, Cal State San Marcos No. 2, Biola, and Simon Fraser from Canada at No. 4.

“Coach Zimmerman got together a great field,” said Westmont head coach Russell Smelley. “It’s a great challenge to have this much talent in one place.”

The race went about as expected. Biola finished fourth behind APU, CSU San Marcos, and Simon Fraser.

“It was a tough race,” coach Zimmerman said. “Some of the girls were fighting colds, and the rest were fighting mid-terms…. It was a kind of pre-nationals to see where we are.”

“It’s been a few weeks since our last race,” said Eagles junior Sarah Brooks. “But the team is working together and it helps running against our conference in this race. We are fighting together.”

The Eagle women were led by Nychele Fischetti who ran 18:14 to finish 10th in the field of 117. The top five for Biola all finished within 23 seconds, again demonstrating the team effort they have worked on all season.

“It was a tough course,” Fischetti said. “But the team worked together.”

“We can’t take anything for granted,” said Gary Preston, head coach at Azusa Pacific. “This was a good picture of where we are at, but we have to show up because any of these teams can beat us any day.”

Eagles freshman Brooklin Brumund said she felt a difference since the first race.

“I was an unsure freshman. Now the group is strong and we have to depend on God to pick us up as we pick each other up,” Brumund said. “Our goal is to finish on the podium at nationals, but we have to always give God the glory no matter what.”

The Eagles have GSAC championships November 7th in Fresno, before they go to Vancouver, Washington for nationals November 21st.