Day-by-Day: Midnight Madness all week long

Live late nights the Day-by-Day way, and kiss those boring hours of study and sleep goodbye.

Matthew Okada, Writer

Once a year, all of Biola gathers for a crazy night of random insanity to kick off the basketball season. But who says this “Midnight Madness” has to stay cramped in Chase Gymnasium? Live late nights the Day-by-Day way, and kiss those boring hours of study and sleep goodbye.

Day One

If you haven’t been to Berry Cool on Beach Blvd, you are not yet authorized to call yourself a Biola student. Open until 11:30 p.m. on weekdays and midnight on weekends, Berry Cool is the most chill late-night snack spot in the area. And do not be one of those cowards — yes I mean me — who gets the same thing every visit. For the ultimate Day-by-Day experience, get a dollop of every single flavor and a sprinkle of every single topping. If the flavor explosion doesn’t cause loss of sight and hearing, at least you’ll have the brain freeze.

Day Two

Sure, sure, you’ve all been to a fast-food restaurant at 1:00 a.m. for a pick-me-up burger or burrito, but I’ll bet you’ve never tackled that drive-thru Day-by-Day style. Step 1: Lash together four or five scooters, creating a chariot. Step 2: Ride the chariot up to the speaker and greet the cashier in the most outrageous accent you can muster. Step 3: When asked to order, throw in several confusing lines, such as, “I’d like to order the skewered boar” or “Do you know who I am? DO YOU?” Step 4: Once at the window, propose to the employee, and don’t forget to film his/her response.

Day Three

Try your hand at homelessness. No really. Grab a sleeping bag, a pillow, a dirty jacket and a beard — okay, maybe skip the beard — and head out to a street corner under the not-so-glorious La Mirada stars. For bonus points, take a guitar or a Bible and spread the Gospel a little with some Chris Tomlin refrains, a message from John, or a live performance of Psalm 119 to the tune of “The Song that Never Ends.” Take the experience to the next level by gathering a few friends for the inaugural meeting of Bums United (hint: wear your B.U. sweatshirts).

Day Four

Sometime after midnight, head to the 24-Hour CVS Pharmacy on Rosecrans. Bring with you a shopping list the size of Santa Claus’s, preferably written on papyrus scrolls or a roll of toilet paper. Include on the shopping list items like “wild Bengal tiger,” “pixie dust,” “life-sized Statue of Liberty replica,” and “moon rock.” Ask an employee for assistance, and when they are unable to oblige, break down in tears. See just how far you can get him or her to search for that elusive “Millennium Falcon repair kit.”

Day Five

Drive down to Huntington Beach sometime after midnight with a good number of pals and half as many bikes. Spend the next few hours biking up and down the coast singing the latest hip-hop songs, with handlebar sitters switching off every once in awhile. To spice things up, bring an iPod and some portable speakers, stick baseball cards in your wheels — everybody has to love that classic motorcycle feel — or wear neon spandex bodysuits. At 5:00 a.m., when the beach opens, sprint down the sand and leap into the freezing ocean fully clothed. Ah, bliss.

Day Six

You’ve just finished watching the Matrix and have a desperate urge to shoot something while simultaneously diving through a window and tackling an unsuspecting villain. Unfortunately, firearms are illegal on campus, and paintball guns are messier than Campus Safety is likely to enjoy. Solution: campus wide Nerf gun war. Load up on pistols, shotguns, snipers, and machine guns (yes, Nerf went there), and go Mission Impossible on every soul in sight. Remember, wear black and don’t be afraid to take cover behind bushes, benches, Bardwell and Barry Corey when necessary.