Simple ways to make healthy food choices

Here are some simple, healthy and convenient ways to help you slim down or stay slim.

Kristi Peterson, Writer

Weight is a topic that always seems to be brought up throughout the years, whether you’re trying to lose a lot of weight or you’re like Regina George and want to lose only three pounds. Either way, a cranberry juice fat flush is not the way to go. There are simple ways to help you slim down or stay slim that are healthy and convenient.

First, you should eat at least five servings of fruits and vegetables daily. Fruits and vegetables are full of fiber, antioxidants and vitamins that with help you throughout the day. They are low in calories and fill you up fast. Eating them raw is the best way to get all the benefits from the foods, but cooking the veggies a bit with some olive oil adds flavor and not many calories.

Another way to control your weight and stay healthy is to watch for portion sizes. For example, if you go out to eat and order pasta, the restaurant doesn’t give one serving of pasta, but four. You can eat one portion there, and get a to-go bag and have another couple of meals. Not only will you be eating correct portions and feeling good, but you’ll feel even better knowing that you bought 2-4 meals instead of one.

Many people think that skipping a meal wouldn’t hurt, and that it may actually help, but this statement couldn’t be more false. When you skip a meal, you starve your body and brain of the nutrients it needs to make it through the day. When you do finally get to the next meal, your body will eat more than it should in order to catch up for the meal that it’s lost, so you’re not doing anything but making yourself hungry. Eating small portions frequently keeps your brain fed and your blood sugar level regular.

Cut sugary drinks out of your diet. Studies show that if you eliminate sodas alone, you can lose at least seven pounds a year, and that’s before exercise and other healthy eating factors come into play. Beverages like sodas, coffees, juices and teas all add up in the end. Everyone should drink at least eight glasses of water a day. I suggest buying a canteen or water bottle to carry around to your classes and throughout your day to keep you hydrated and energized.

Exercise in any way, shape or form. Even if you don’t have time to go to the gym or for a run or bike ride, you can walk or bike to class instead of drive. Or, if you live on campus, try walking the long way to your classes.

Lastly, keep a food journal. Food journals will keep you accountable for what you eat, the portions you’re eating and the time and day you ate.

These are just a few tips that even the busiest of people can use to lose or maintain weight in a safe and healthy way.