Civics promotion lacking in colleges, survey shows

Many students around the nation say their colleges aren’t promoting civil engagement.

Alexandra Montiel, Writer

Colleges aren’t promoting civic engagement enough for students, according to a recent survey by the Association of American Colleges and Universities as reported by The Chronicle of Higher Education.

Half of students surveyed declared they knew the importance of contributing to community upon entering college, but only about a third could strongly say that their institutions contributed to their growing in knowledge and skills at helping change society, or that they were encouraged to get involved. George L. Mehaffy, vice president for academic leadership and change at the AAC&U, suggested that colleges often focus on promoting civic involvement in freshmen through their general education courses, but forget to emphasize it later as part of their majors.

Students, however, weren’t keen on integrating civic education into all four years of their schooling.

“We have enough to worry about,” said sophomore Naomi Sornoso. “Just being aware of the recent political issues such as health care and abortion should be enough.”

Sornoso said she isn’t very involved or informed when it comes to politics, but she has tried working once at the polls occasionally.

The survey encompassed about 24,000 students and 9,000 faculty and administrators across 23 colleges. Miami University, Michigan State University and the U.S. Air Force Academy were just a few of the schools studied.

Biola history professor Paul Rood mentioned another ongoing study measuring students’ knowing of U.S. civics and history from the Gilder Lehman Institute of American History.

“I apply the same test in my classes in the past and I agree — not only students are not knowledgeable, but they lose knowledge in college,” he said. “They have less knowledge when they leave college … even at the best schools.”

In their defense, many students strongly believe their civic involvement is a decision they must take on their own, and there is no need for mandatory or enforced civic awareness courses.

“I think as a majority we are not informed as we should be,” said junior Jenny McMahon. “If you are involved, it means you made a point to go watch the news or the newspaper.”
McMahon was upfront about her lack of involvement.

“Personally, I am not involved,” she said. “I have never even voted.”
McMahon strongly agreed that the responsibility on motivating and encouraging students to become civically involved should not be laid on teachers or courses taken at school, students should make that decision by themselves, as “it is their responsibility,” she said.

The survey found that students and campus professionals at religiously affiliated schools were the most likely of all the colleges to report that the community is a major focus.
Promotion of civic engagement through all four years of college is something Biola´s political science professors believe is a powerful and useful tool.

“I start to train my students immediately to get informed and involved,” said David Peters, professor of political science and public administration. “ In the course Survey of American Government, they are required to do a total of 10 citizen service hours, three government hours, three partisan political hours, three community service hours and one extra additional hour in one of the three categories above.”

Peters also requires his students to read each current edition of Newsweek, which is later discussed in class. To prepare for these discussions, students are responsible to read through the cover story, national affairs, international relations, and political sections. They must have thoroughly read the assignment and be ready to demonstrate their knowledge through discussion.

“I think Biola should consciously establish this problem as a priority to be addressed and I think we ought to test freshmen in their entry level knowledge of American history once they enter university and when they leave,” Rood said.